Author Topic: Adventures of a BrainPorter Week Two  (Read 4599 times)

LADavid

Adventures of a BrainPorter Week Two
« on: July 25, 2009, 12:57:35 pm »
So, I've completed two weeks of BrainPorting and I thought I'd give you an update.  Here's what I've discovered. 
1. Twenty minutes is a very long time to stand still
2. Sometimes I open my eyes
3. My cat seems concerned about me when I'm doing my exercise
4. I'm getting more comfortable with it
5. Did I mention that 20 minutes is a very long time?

As far as vestibular improvement, it's hard to tell.  As I mentioned before -- I had a horrible balance issue in May and June (no one knows why) which qualified me for this study.  I do know that I am better than I was in May and June but I think I've just returned to the level I was previous to that -- the normal wonkyhead.  I did have one bad day earlier in the week but that was upon leaving a dentist who tried to shake me down for about $6000 of unneccesary cosmetic work. Do dentists take a Hypocratic Oath?  Off-subject.  Like I said, it's hard to tell on a week to week basis.  I still lose my balance when I'm walking and I turn to look to the side.  I still feel very unsure on steps.  And when I walk, my head feels like it's bouncing around.  But then again, this is only two weeks into an eight week program.  More to come next week.

For those of you who are interested in participating in the program, the BrainPortites are looking for more test subjects -- there are only 250 in the country now.  I think they need more in a clinical test to satisfy the FDA.  I talked with my PT  --- she said she would be more than happy to take on more candidates through her office.  For most of you, it would mean travel and a three day stay in Anaheim (she's about a mile from Disneyland).  But the test itself is no cost to you.  The requirements for being accepted as a test subject are:

1. Clinical documentation of a balance disorder -- either a caloric (ENG) test or a Rotational Chair
2. Previously treated with PT and reached a plateau
3. Ability to stand 2 minutes
4. Dynamic gait <20/24
5. No history of seisures
6. No implanted electronic medical devices
7. The ability to withstand insanely tedious and cruel torture for 20 minues (that's actually mine) ;)

Since I'm sure that I'm not allowed to post a name and number as a recommendation, if you contact me through a PM, I'll provide my PTs name and contact information.

Staggering through life,
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Adventures of a BrainPorter Week Two
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:32:37 pm »
David ~

Thanks for the comprehensive update.  The exercises sound just as tedious as you intended but may prove to be of great value to you in the final analysis.  One hopes.  Anyway, I'm glad you're doing better with your balance. 

I think dentists do take the Hippocratic oath because they're technically doctors (of dentistry).  Trying to sell patients expensive cosmetic procedures is optional for some, I guess. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 03:05:10 pm »
for those of you who would like a vacation along with dental treatment, try mexico.  A root canal in Canada  is well over a thousand bucks. In mexcico, its $200.00.  A crown is only $440 or 550 for a gold one...cleaning is only fifty bucks. needless  to say when I am in Mexico, I see my dentist there. 
Jo ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 03:32:33 pm »
David,
Very, very cool.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 05:41:31 pm »
Hang in there David,I'am sure you will see improvement.My husband tells me I walk better now after using BP.
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 11:56:47 am »
I never had balance therapy so I guess I am out...I would take the vacation to Anaheim though!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!