Author Topic: How long was it before you went back to work?  (Read 9206 times)

joebloggs

Re: How long was it before you went back to work?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 05:34:37 am »
I'm going back to work on Monday!!! Eeek!  My surgery was on the 11th March but I was in Australia (I work in the UK) so I had to stay there to have all my follow up appointments etc - I got cleared to work from beginning August so that's what's happening.  I feel good - still fatigued but I should be fine for work I reckon.  Cross fingers!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

MissMolly

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 12:20:04 pm »
This is a good question for a post.  I am approaching the 6 week mark (Monday) and can't fathom going back to work any time soon.  I'm exhausted most of the time.  Especially if I over do it the day before.  I definitely pay for over exerting.  Since I work in the schools, I have until the end of August but am negotiating going back part time initially.  Just to see how it goes.

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 01:50:08 pm »
Four years since my surgery.  many, many complications since.  MS, two strokes and migraines and balance issues.  I finally got approved for disability. There are days I feel like I could go back to work and the next I can't get out of bed.  Each person is totally different and the kind of job you do also affects the time you need to take.  Don't rush things.  Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself.  I'm sure when you are  ready, you will know it!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 05:19:34 pm »
8 weeks for me ...(and I was pushing it)  It would of been longer... but I was lucky,  my job was on the way for my wife... so for 3 months after starting... she drove most of the time .. and I drove when I felt up to it....     (80 mile round trip at raceway/highway speeds)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 07:36:18 pm »
4 months for me, but only due to may rare complications.  was only supposed to be 4-6 weeks :)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Samjones

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 01:30:11 am »
I went back to work right away, being a say home mom is a job you cant stay off of...  :'(  But luckly my husband was a great help and my children are not teens but are getting there so they were helping me out you could say I was part time mom.  I cooked and walked around the house, my family didnt let me do much..  I followed my post op care procedures and I guess thats what counts..  I also think that it all depends on the person.  When I gave birth to my first child I asked to be discharged after 6 hours came home cooked and cleaned...  not everyone can tolarate tha, but we have to be strong and not force ourselves to do more then we can but to do what we can...  I guess I was so excited about find the best surgeon and Dr. Shahinian was able to resect the entire tumor that I thought thats it I am backto myself again...

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 07:14:01 am »
I got operated (last surgery out of 3) in Oct 08 and came back to work in April 09. It took me longer than the previous surgeries (only 3 months per each) because I had a lot of balance issuse, facial papralysis and eye problems - actually still have the eye problems :(

hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 10:05:10 am »
I went back to work after 12 weeks (part time) teaching kindergarten.  I was exhausted and slept most of my days off. I was kind to myself and after working there was not much energy left. I am great now 14 months post op and need to remind myself to slow down.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.