Author Topic: Have a question about upcoming surgery  (Read 3329 times)

TxNurseNoelle

Have a question about upcoming surgery
« on: July 17, 2009, 08:38:39 pm »
I have a question about the upcoming surgery I am having on July 24th What advice can you give me about what to expect post-op I am having a Translab. and what should I begin to prepare for now? I spoke with the surgery coordinator who told me more or less how long surgery will take,(on average 6 hours) I will be in ICU (1-2days) depending on how I do, She told me this surgeon has less than 1% infection rate after surgery but she still reviewed signs and symptoms of infection. Did anyone require Home Health Nursing after discharge home? I will be alone at home after discharge, My family is in Pa and my husband coaches Football and its approaching that time of the year! Has anyone been home alone after being discharged? and if so how did you do?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Have a question about upcoming surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 09:28:33 pm »
Noelle .....

As I know you know, everyone's recovery from surgery is unique but a couple of things seem to be quite universal ...... 1) for most, the F3D (first three days) are by far the worst, followed by rapid improvement 2) profound fatigue.  Beyond that recoveries are all over the proverbial ballpark.  I had retrosigmoid approach so did not lose all of my hearing ...... but you will be SSD following translab.  I had no headaches, but did have some nausea and double vision for several days.  I had significant balance problems initially and needed to use a walker or hold onto someone until I was discharged to go home after six days.  Some people go home in 48 hours!!! ..... and some have complications and stay much longer.

My surgery was about 5 hours, I was in the ICU for the first 24 hours, then a private room (which I strongly recommend!!).  I was on IV pain meds and steroids until the day before I was discharged ..... no infection but because of mitral valve prolapse was on IV antibiotics initially.

Did not have nor need any home health nursing.  Drove home 10 days after surgery (well, my husband did, that is), then our daughter-in-law stayed with me the next week so my husband could go back to work.  I think I really could have been alone with no problem but it made them feel better.  I was alone after that during the day, which was fine since I rested/slept a good bit of the time anyway.

My thoughts and prayers for an uncomplicated surgery and recovery.

Clarice

P.S.  Be sure to pack CHAPSTICK!  (that also seems to be universal!)
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 09:34:16 pm »
I think you will need someone home with you at first to help you out. I was instructed to have someone with me for the first 2 weeks. I felt fine to be on my own after about 1 1/2 weeks, but I was certainly glad that I had family here to help and I dont' think I could have done it alone...actually, they wouldn't have let me go if I didn't have someone to be with me. :)

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:40:22 pm »
Hi Noelle, My Translab took over 9 hours but went great with no complications.  I was on my feet the next day and walking with assistance.  They sent me home on the 3rd morning after surgery day because things went so well.  My husband took two weeks off to be by my side.  I could not have managed w/out someone to help me shower and fix meals, etc.  He removed my bandages, put meds on my incision, and took me to the Dr. to have stitches removed during those two weeks.  He also managed the communications from well-meaning friends and coworkers.  I needed someone with me (or nearby) for at least the first 8-10 days.  You can expect the fatigue that everyone talks about.  The SSD takes some getting used to but isn't really that bad.  At first, voices sounded very different to me, but the sounds returned to normal within a month.  Since each case is different, it's hard to say how your story will unfold.  I had no paralysis but had some pretty major jaw problems at first which made eating difficult.  My eye didn't tear for months after surgery, and there was other nerve damage that has caused little issues along the way.  The balance problems have been one of my major obstacles, but it certainly doesn't hold me back from normal life activities.  One thing I found helpful was the friendship I developed with another AN er.  Sometimes you just need to talk to someone who understands the strange sensations that you will experience.  This is what is so great about the AN website.  There are many good listeners who truly understand what you are going through.  Think positive.  You're going to do great.

Football?  You're holding tickets for the Superbowl of Surgeries.  Not many persons get to attend that game.  Your hubby is your coach for this game, and YOU are the MVP.  Everything else is just another Friday night game.   

Best wishes.  SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 04:51:32 am »
Noelle,

My ANnivery is coming up on the 28th of this month.  It will be four years.  I also had translab, my surgery took ten hours, I was in ICU for 24 hours.  I was then put in a semi private room with an older lady who had loud music and non stop visitors.  My doctor finally put a stop to it because the nurses and my requests to the family were ignored.  I was not gotten up, so I had to stay in the hospital for seven days instead of five and my doctor came to get me out of bed and walk me and order that his order for the heart catheter be finally taken out three days AFTER he ordered it.  It wasn't a good experience.  I went home to a husband who was in the middle of a very busy season with sixteen hour work days (he is an HVAC tech), and a daughter who had moved in to help only to find out she was on mandatory OT!  My two grand daughters stayed with me, ages 12 and 13.  I would not advise staying alone.  Get a teenager from your neighborhood who needs to earn some extra money.  They can watch TV and get you what you need and make sure someone is there.  The first time I was left alone I passed out in my living room.  A friendly religious person came to my door and saw me sprawled on the floor with my head bandaged and came in and got me the help I needed.  I will be forever grateful to the "angel".  I have a friend for life.
My advice is to not be home alone for at least a couple of weeks after you get out of the hospital!
I am keeping you in my prayers and I know you are going to do great.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 06:22:51 am »
HI Noelle!

I couldn't agree more with folks here that having someone home with you after surgery is important.  My husband took two weeks off and I don't know what I would have done without his help.  I used a walker for several days, too.

As for right after surgery, my surgery involved a retrosigmoid approach, but even so, post op is about the same as translab.  I had almost no pain - due to grreat meds, nurses, and TLC.  I was very tired and don't remember much at all about ICU, but was there for 24 hours after surgery.  My hospital stay was 4 days.  Some headaches for several days after I got home, but managed with meds very well.  Lots of rest, stay on top of the medications they give you, and take your time healling. 

I prepared my "nest" at home before surgery trying to anticipate what I might need, and placing things within easy reach.  I also bought some really comfy things to wear - especially tops that buttoned up instead of pullovers.

I don't know how large your AN is, but they say the bigger it is now, the easier time you'll have with balance issues post op.  That was really the case for me since mine was large - my balance issues were not a big problem at all!!

The worst part was the worry before the surgery and it did help to keep myself busy and focused on getting my house ready and getting things for myself.  Like you, I sought out lots of advice so that I was mentally prepared, too.  Best of luck to you, Noelle!!! 

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 07:13:11 am »
Noelle, some of how you feel post op may depend if your drs protocol is steroids taken at home.           The ones who do have them are more wired and awake more.         I am NF2 with now 4 surgeries and only had them the last time.       I was alone in the day every time post op.         My husband was home at night.           I had food figured out ahead andthe first couple times friends brought some.    I had poor appetite every time and there can sometimes be a sore jaw.  Usually less with translab.   So in a way it was nice as could do my naps as needed and they will be needed.         You will be really tired the first couple weeks and then it improves.   I always had a problem with being comfortable at night too and spent time in 2 beds and a chair.      I drove some then in my rural area to the grocery store a few miles away at 2 weeks at least one time.       I needed help in the shower past the first surgery a couple times.        I had to have cleaning and ointment to the incision and he did that for a time.                     I never had any trouble getting around.             The first surgery didn't even realize I had balance issues till went outside to walk and discovered wonkyhead!              I had SSD before surgery so not a big deal but there will be odd noises and weird feeling in the head.                  Biggest thing is to not push yourself at first to prove you will be normal again.          Things do realy really improve!                         I was back to work as a nurse in 2 mos and maybe could have got by with less.           Having someone to do some laundry and clean some might be helpful.             There is no bending over or straining.            If you have stuff you always keep in a low drawer,having it out might help.            This sounds rather disjointed but am just thinking as I write.     
           Good luck with your surgery.         We will be thinking of you,                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 08:55:49 am »
"I don't know how large your AN is, but they say the bigger it is now, the easier time you'll have with balance issues post op.  That was really the case for me since mine was large - my balance issues were not a big problem at all!!"

My AN must not have known it wasn't supposed to give me balance problems because it was 3.5!  I have had balance problems, major ones since day one and prior to the surgery.  My balance was the only problem I had and it was the reason for my original MRI!!  I think that this is a case that no two ANs are the same and no two people are alike.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 10:28:42 am »
Noelle -

as you know from frequenting the forum, everyone's AN journey - including their recovery from surgery - is different. 

IMO the best course of action is to be aware of the "what ifs", but don't stress about them.  Be prepared, but take things as they come.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 12:42:12 pm »
I had translab. 7 hours. up on the second day. the first 24 hrs after surgery were the hardest for me...but once up it got better. Went in on a tues, home the following tues as it was easter weekend and the doc left it up to me..home saturday or tues.. I waited til tues so my family wouldnt have to worry about me for Easter. Once home I didnt use a walker or a cane. But have someone with you is a must for at least ten days.  upon awakening from surgery, I waited for the pain to arrive. It never did...I was on 2X reg tylenol every four hrs for 3 days then as needed. I was and still is amazed at the lack of pain especially after reading how some are on morphine and pain killers...Best of luck...It will be over b4 u know it
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 02:21:45 pm »
Noelle ~

I have to concur with Jan and reiterate her point that every AN patient's experience is a bit different and 'one size does not fit all'.  That stated, I'll mention that your first week at home will be spent resting, napping and generally doing very little.  You'll really need someone to cook (even putting a TV dinner in the oven may seem like a challenge) and cleaning, etc is usually out of the question.  No lifting, either.  If family can't help, line up another relative, neighbor or friend to stop in and deal with getting you meals.  This should run around 10 days to two weeks, depending on your rate of recovery.  Some post-op patients are running half-marathons within a few weeks of surgery while others are still struggling after a few months.   I can only hope that you'll be one of the fast healers and not need a long recuperation.  However, planning is prudent.  I strongly suggest - at the minimum - having someone around as much as possible the first week or so.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 03:55:39 pm »
Hi  Noelle-

The only thing I would add is that if you find after surgery that you aren't able to get around well, check with your doctors about ordering a home nurse.  I believe that many insurance companies will pay for this if the doctor "prescribes" it.  As everyone has said, each person's experience is different and you are not really going to know what your experience is until you come out of surgery. I had my parents here for several weeks after surgery and it made things SO much easier.  As Jim pointed out, even the smallest chores can feel overwhelming in those first weeks. 

Good luck next week - keeping fingers and toes crossed!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com