Author Topic: MRI ok for posties?  (Read 1295 times)

bdsgurl

MRI ok for posties?
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:38:21 pm »
I just wondered, If we have metal plates or mesh in our heads after our surgeries, how is it ok for us to have MRI's? Kinda just occured to me....

sgerrard

Re: MRI ok for posties?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:12:08 pm »
There are lots of metals that are not magnetic, such as lead, copper, gold, platinum, and titanium. Your head metal is probably titanium.

To be magnetic, you need a metal with iron, nickel, cobalt, or gadolinium in it.

Gadolinium is the contrast dye they use for MRIs of ANs, and it makes sense it would be magnetic, now that I think about it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 01:33:19 am »
Steve's correct.

The mesh and screws used in AN surgeries are usually titanium.  The BAHA implant is also titanium. 

MRI's aren't a problem, but you should mention your "hardware" to the technician before you have the MRI.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 02:01:18 pm »
Bdsgurl ~

At the risk of being redundant, I'll just add that Steve is completely accurate in his comments regarding the types of metal post-op AN patients carry in their skull.  Titanium is non-ferromagnetic, making it relatively impervious to the electromagnetic field in the MRI unit.  Jan has a good point, too.  Most MRI centers will ask about you about any metal implants being present anywhere in your body (dental implants, artificial knees, hip joints, etc) but if they don't, I would definitely mention it before going into the MRI unit.  The titanium in your skull won't cause any problems - but the MRI tech would probably like to know about it, beforehand. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.