Author Topic: 16 month up-date  (Read 1875 times)

ernie h

16 month up-date
« on: December 11, 2008, 04:01:20 pm »
hi everyone i'm ernie a 57 yr old who had my an removal aug 07.after temporary r side(an side) facial paralisys.2 more regiments of dexamethasone.that's gone.i had hearing when i arrived home but it shut off like a switch about 3 wks later.they're confused why.i went for vestibular therapy finally after i complained enough.i had about 6 weeks of that.my balance is much improved.my main symptom is this foggy dis-oriented wobbly head feeling.i read the posts about the wonky head.that describes it pretty well.so if i should have posted there i apologize.the ear surgeon suggests i go for a test where they inject a cold fluid in the an side to see if it reacts.said something about hair cells that may have got left behind??.anyone heard of this.i was a self employed auto tech for 34 yrs.had to give it up.good luck to all and wish you all the best and happy holidays sincerely ernie henshaw.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.

Tumbleweed

Re: 16 month up-date
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 05:24:04 pm »
Ernie, the cold fluid is pumped into the ear on the affected side in order to induce nystagmus (involuntary eye movements associated with dizzyness brought on by the injection of cold water). If your vestibular system was mostly destroyed (by the AN or as a consequence of surgical removal of the AN), you should have very little nystagmus in response to the cold water in the ear. Your doctor is trying to determine from the test how much balance function you have remaining on your AN side. From what you said in your post, I'm guessing you had a translab surgical approach where the vestibular system was deliberately removed on the AN side during the procedure. Your doctor is trying to determine whether part of the vestibular system was unintentionally left behind, causing the wonkyheadedness (is that a word??  ;D ).

It is the difference in remaining balance function on left and right sides/ears that causes dizziness and the wonky head syndrome. When you are immobile, the good side tells your brain you are not in motion. But the damaged side says you are. The conflicting signals creates a sense of disequilibrium.

Best,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

ernie h

Re: 16 month up-date
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 05:43:34 pm »
thanks for the info tumbleweed you explained it MUCH better than the dr did.thank you for clearing that up for me.ernie.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.