Author Topic: Lumpy Concern ???  (Read 2493 times)

Melissa778

Lumpy Concern ???
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:44:33 pm »
I've had translab for my AN, and just about 3 weeks ago had GK.....Today I noticed a very strange lump behind my ear at the back of my head....somewhat at the base of my scar/incision.  It doesn't "hurt" per say, but not really comfortable either.....I've noticed the last few days that my balance is a bit off again where it hasn't been for quite some time.  Is this all related to the GK?  Or should I be calling the doc?  Lump is also a bit red??

Melissa ??? ???
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

GRACE1

Re: Lumpy Concern ???
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:36:56 pm »
I would think you need to call your doctor.  Please go ahead and do this.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:38:14 pm »
Hey,
I've got the same thing going on--have a doctor's appt. on Dec. 2.  Let me know what you learn when you talk to your doc.
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 06:38:35 pm »
I had a lumpy concern and it turned out to be a scar neuroma.  It got to the point I could not lay on the left side of my head and it would wake me up at night if I rolled over.  It hurt!! :'(  I did receive three nerve block injections and each time it was just a temporary fix.  Finally I had surgery to remove it. 

Marci you and I had surgery the same day.  You had a nice sleep and I was WIDE awake  :o  I'm still sore back there actually.  Somedays the area is swollen and reddish.  Just to put my hair behind my ears can be a real pain in the neck!! ;)  Neck, head, ear.....all the same area. 

Anne Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Melissa778

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 06:34:12 am »
Anne Marie you were so right!  Doc seems to think it may be scar neuroma.  ARe the nerve block injections the only way to treat it? Are there prescription medications that can help??  What was the  surgery like to remove it?

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:43:24 am »
Hi Melissa,

I was wide awake when the scar neuroma was surgically removed.  I was given a large dose of Ativan of relax me, and let me tell you I was r e l a x e d !!!  It was done in a surgical room, with a full team and I was hooked up to all the monitors.  I was not put under but the area was injected with local freezing.  The local had to be topped up a few times.  The tissue was removed and I was stitched up, went back to recovery, given some apple juice and 30 minutes later I was on my way home.  I did post about it here on the forum.  I'm not a computer whiz so I don't know how to find the thread. 

If you survived child birth and a translab this is a piece of cake,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

auntsherry

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 12:11:03 pm »
Lumps & Bumps!  It took me more than 1 year to learn the following from a Cleveland Clinic RN who had similar surgery :o
When it is necessary to remove part of your skull, the neurosurgeons first drill 3 holes (I had 3 due to the size of the AN) - the next step would be to cut away the larger piece of skull which happens to have 3 holes in it.
When the surgical removal of the neuroma is done, the piece of skull piece is replaced;  the holes remain open to insure bleeding, swelling or spinal fluid is NOT happening.
I have several bumps and, YES they are still a nuisance when I try to lay on that side.
I was told the body produces calcium deposits in these holes, thus BUMPS!!??
Please let me know if anyone else has been told this - THANKS!
Sherry
aunt sherry