Author Topic: Can nerves come back after a year?  (Read 6533 times)

robynabc

Re: Can nerves come back after a year?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 09:30:06 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for all your posts on this.  Yes,  Eric has to have water with him at all times because of the coughing fits.  Knowing that this is the 10th nerve helped alot.  I always get confused on this.  We are going to go to a therapist.  Right now I am working on getting our insurance to pay for one that is not on our plan.  The one we went to before was terrible.  This is not going to be too good for him if he has to live with it forever.  After reading a bit about the 10th nerve (and there is not much out there)  I think the big problem is he is haveing spasms and that is where the choking thing is coming from.  You guys gave us some great info.

Kaybo you had the same doc as Eric, if I remember right,  Dr Jenkins.  I am starting to realize this has something to do with the brainstem problem.  And Dr. Jenkins told me he did not feel at any way comfortable with leaving any of the tumor.  So,  from what I read they can help him with learning how to maybe eat different.  The last therapist was not very good and no one seems to know much about this.  BUT,  someone has to know something so I won't give up until I find them.

Thanks agian.

You guys are the best. 

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 12:00:19 am »
Robyn:

If Eric is having spasms, as you suspect, then valerian root extract might help him. Valerian root is an antispasmodic herb. Eric could try taking one dropperful (about 30-40 drops) of the liquid extract 3x/day and see if that helps. I've taken much larger doses than that to stop coughing fits when sick, and it works like a charm. But I'd be careful about giving Eric too much at once; I just don't know how safe it would be for him to take large doses for his specific condition. 30-40 drops at a time should be very safe.

The valerian root might make Eric sleepy, so he shouldn't drive or operate heavy machinery while taking it.

If it seems to help a little and he has no adverse reaction to the herb with the standard dose (30-40 drops, 3x/day), you could slowly and incrementally increase the dose to see if it helps even more. The goal is to quiet any nerve irritation and stop the spasms, and then slowly wean himself from the valerian root. It's not something he should be taking in large amounts for a very long period of time (because it'll make him dopey). But a week or two shouldn't hurt; in fact, it very well might help him.

Just a suggestion...

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Linda Rene

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 09:45:24 am »
I am amazed to hear this is possible. Is it also possible with the hearing and balance nerves? Is there a book or reference anyone can recommend? Thanks, Linda Rene

Tumbleweed

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 01:06:23 am »
I am amazed to hear this is possible. Is it also possible with the hearing and balance nerves?

Unfortunately, I've found valerian root extract to be of minimal or no benefit when it comes to the hearing and balance nerves. It is extremely effective (at the right dose) with coughing fits, abdominal cramps and even insomnia (as it is also sedative in action). There are many herb books that have information on valerian root, as it is a popular herb. However, I've never read any reference to it being used to quell coughing. This I learned from personal experience many years ago. I had a dry, ticklish cough that went on for days, finally getting to the point where I was coughing every 5 to 10 seconds and couldn't sleep. I could feel the pleura in my chest starting to get painful with every cough and reasoned I had to stop coughing to avoid landing myself in the hospital. Knowing valerian root is an antispasmodic, I began dosing myself every hour on the hour until it stopped the coughing and put me to sleep.

Again, this is an approach that should be taken with extreme caution with Eric, as his other health issues make him potentially more vulnerable to side effects from large doses of herbs that affect the central nervous system (like valerian root does very short-term). I was otherwise healthy at the time (this was many years ago) and also very experienced with taking valerian root extract, so I knew what I was doing and could monitor my response.

But yeah, valerian root is an amazing herb for spasmodic conditions.  :)

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 09:08:49 am »
A month and a half after my AN removal, I had partial parlysis of my left vocal chord diagnosed by an ENT dr after a nasl scope exam....Its been about a year now and I still see an ENT dr for follow ups, last visit which was 6 weeks ago, redid the nasalscope and he said that I no longer have paralysis of my vocal chord but theres "guck" sitting there, maybe thats why my speech isnt all there as yet so he perscribed nexium, I have to go back next week, so I say theres still hope!
Takes time to heal.
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

robynabc

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 08:30:01 pm »
Thank you for your responses.  We so appreciate them.   I can't tell for sure but I think I have noticed a tiny bit of improvement lately in Eric.  We were talking yesterday and he got a new job a few months ago.  He is so happy to be working and making some money.  They are really good about letting him keep water around and he hasn't had too many issues at work.  He had a big coughing attack in one of his classes but I seem to notice his cough is better.  But,  it may just be I am not around him as much so don't see it.  I asked him and he said he thought it was maybe a bit better.  I think maybe because now that he is busier he isn't thinking about it as much?  Not  sure.  But it gives us hope that maybe it is healing just a bit more.  You know I looked at him today and really if that coughing thing clears up He will actually be better than before surgery.  Except for the deaf ear,  that really hasn't bothered him at all.   He will sometimes lament about the cough but if it gets better he will be so great.  We are blessed. 

I want to thank you guys for your time in helping us. 

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.