Author Topic: Post Op Headaches  (Read 2221 times)

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
Post Op Headaches
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:13:10 pm »
I've been getting headaches--not by my incision, but at my temples and the top of my head for a while now.  I thought I'd be totally off of pain meds by now, but I'm burning through many Motrin a day and Percoset as well.

Did you have headaches post op?  Did they go away?  How long were you on pain meds?

I didn't really even have them when I had an AN--and when I did get them, I didn't need meds. ???
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Post Op Headaches
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 11:34:23 pm »
Nicole,

I got deblitating headaches post-op (after sutures were taken out and swelling started) that felt like my head was going to explode.  I didn't get them near my incision either.  At first, I treated with Tylenol 3 (with codein) but after the doc saw me and thought it mights be CSF built up, he put me on a diruretic (diomox?).  The way I described it to my doctor when I saw him was that it felt like my eye was going to pop out!  After being on the diruretic, the swelling has gone WAY down (at first, within an hour of taking off the "wrap" it would come back and now I had it off for 7 hours before it started coming down) and the headaches are non-existent.  I also take Allegra D for my allergies.  Between the two, the headaches are gone...*knocks on wood*  Of course, my doctor took me off the pain meds while I'm on the current med.

Are you running any fever along with it?  Swelling?  This may seem like an odd question, but what kind of headache?  Is it external or internal?

Have you contacted your doctor's office about it yet?  If not, I suggest going through him first.

I hope you get relief soon!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

shygirl

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:25:36 am »
Nicole-

I also suffer from these headaches. I'm 10 mos post op and have been getting them for over 9 mos. Every day. Does it feel like you're being hit on the head with the claw side of a hammer? Try relaxing your neck and pressing firmly on the base of your skull with your thumbs. If it relieves the pain some, it's probably your occipital nerve causing the problem. That'll make your whole head pound. I do that and put ice on the back of my neck. Heat aggravates mine. Let us know if that works.

I truly hope this is temporary for you, like Pooter.

2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:51:54 am »
Nicole-

I also suffer from these headaches. I'm 10 mos post op and have been getting them for over 9 mos. Every day. Does it feel like you're being hit on the head with the claw side of a hammer? Try relaxing your neck and pressing firmly on the base of your skull with your thumbs. If it relieves the pain some, it's probably your occipital nerve causing the problem. That'll make your whole head pound. I do that and put ice on the back of my neck. Heat aggravates mine. Let us know if that works.

I truly hope this is temporary for you, like Pooter.

Yes, last night was the worst.  I had ice wrapped around my neck and a cold cloth on my head.  I was trying not to cry b/c I knew that would only make things worse :(  I seriously thought my head was going to explode from the pressure.  I think I overdid it the last few days.  Do you notice them more when you do too much or are they just random for you?
Thanks, Nicole
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

shygirl

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:38:51 am »
They get worse when I do anything to exert myself. When I do housework, I have to take several breaks. And that's just dusting & vacuuming!!!! Doing laundry is hard, too. Dishes--no problem. I take 800 mg ibuprofen every 4-5 hours because that's the only thing that works. Have to eat first, though. The headaches come every 3-4 hours whether I do anything or not. I usually wake up with a "pounding" at the top of my head. They're ruthless. I don't like them, but I'm trying to control them so my quality of life stays decent.

I asked my Dr about the headaches and he told me there's no reason to be having them... ??? What!!! He obviously never even hit his head really hard!!

Good luck, Nicole

Shygirl
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 02:09:42 pm »
Nicole:

I'm so sorry to learn of your post-op headaches.  I hope you're feeling better by the time you read this.

I think you may have over-exerted yourself but I'm not a doctor so I suggest you consult with yours (probably by phone) to alert him to these headaches and possibly find an explanation.  I really hope you can and in doing so, find relief and get off the pain medications. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 03:41:58 pm »
Yes, last night was the worst.  I had ice wrapped around my neck and a cold cloth on my head.  I was trying not to cry b/c I knew that would only make things worse :(  I seriously thought my head was going to explode from the pressure.  I think I overdid it the last few days.  Do you notice them more when you do too much or are they just random for you?
Thanks, Nicole

Nicole,

I would get my headaches at random times after doing NOTHING.  It certainly sounds like ya overdid it a bit, but I'm no doctor.  If there's no swelling that goes with it, I think it might not be the same as mine.  I would lean more towards you over-doing it.  Whether or not it's the occipital nerve is beyond me, since I don't have that type of headache.  Try relaxing your neck and back somehow (heat, ice, massager, etc..) and see if that helps.  They could be induced by your body being tight.  Again, I ain't a doctor and I don't even play one on tv.  ;)

I hope you find the source and fix the source of the problem.  I'll be praying for you.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 04:04:01 pm »
I'm very sorry to hear that Nichole.  I know how frustrating that must be being a mom.  I think I had headaches in the beginning -- more in my forehead than anything.  But my eye was bugging me so much I think that occupied my misery.  I still get them occasionally.  According to my internist, it may be associated with stress in the neck.  I'm seeing a PT for that tomorrow.  If that works, I'll pass what I learn along.
Best wishes
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments