Author Topic: BAHA's  (Read 1426 times)

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
BAHA's
« on: May 13, 2008, 02:11:31 pm »
i saw a post or two about these . and my ENT surgeon explained it all and even showed me how they do work.

and i know we dont give out medical advice , but im going to ask anyway  LOL

since its just been 5 months since my AN , is that really a good idea to go do a BAHA or is it better to just get 'er done.

i certainly have some residual issues with my AN ............. just a ? 

Thanks Steve W houston

10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA's
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:35:35 pm »
Steve -

the BAHA surgery is totally different from the AN surgery.

It's much shorter, done on an outpatient basis (you can even elect to have local anesthesia), and they don't open up your head.  It's similar to being scalped - sorry, that's how someone described it to me and although the description is a little unsettling, it's true.  The site is only about 2.5 " x 2.5 " though - so don't picture yourself completely scalped.  You don't have the recovery issues of AN surgery either - balance, dizziness, tiredness, etc.

I had my BAHA surgery 9 months after my AN surgery - would have had it a lot sooner, but my insurance company was not cooperating - and my head was still a little numb.  It was actually a good thing because I didn't feel the doc injecting the lidocaine into my head  :D

I don't think it's too soon - but I'm an accountant so my opinion on this doesn't count - better ask your doc  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways