Author Topic: Today was difficult  (Read 3977 times)

sgerrard

Re: Today was difficult
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 01:15:52 pm »
Best thing to remember is that it won't get worse. You have survived your worst mall day; the next one will be a little better...

Take care,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 01:41:40 pm »
Ah yes....store clerks--you will learn to read lips a little after a while. Also I just  say " could you repeat that please, I'm partially deaf," and I lean in with my good ear. Waaaaaaay in!  (I don't have to listen for the "paper or plastic" as I take my own recycled paper bags to the store--as we all should be doing!!!!!) After a while, it's amazing how your brain compensates for the SSD.  My ability to locate sound is so much better at 5 years post op than it was at 2 years.
It gets better--it really does--hang in there.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

er

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 04:19:47 pm »
Hi Nichole
I am so sorry to  hear your unpleasant experience as 'new' SSD person. It does get better you will eventually learn to adjust and accommodate the handicap. And family and friends will also help.
 Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Sometimes!â€? 
Last night I was trying to talk to my sister on the phone and my mom and my husband were trying to ask me questions. All I could hear was mumbles out of their mouths, I had to keep asking my sister to hold on for a while because I couldn’t hear her and them at the same time. My mom and husband made a joke of it and just kept teasing me. It does get frustrating.

eve

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 05:41:45 am »
Reading your story of your first outing brought back "those" memories that made me too wonder if I was ever going to relax with this SSD.  I have totally relaxed with not knowing where the sound is coming from to asking people to "say that in a different way", as first time for everything we do is difficult.  Practice, practice, practice is the rule of thumb so continue to get out there even though it's frustrating, eyes closed for one to five minutes helps when you're overwhelmed to regroup your sanity, taking outside activities at a slower pace also helps.  Do a search on this site under "hearing" issues as there is a list of "helpful hints" for the hearing impaired.  Hope it helps and thanks for sharing, remember it does get better with time.  As Deb says your lip reading skills will come in handy, I've been taking classes in my town and they do help when I'm in noisy environments. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

wendysig

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 05:10:44 am »
Nicole,

So sorry to hear about your experience in the phone store.  I have lost about 50% of t he hearing in my irght ear which is bad enough.  I can't imagine how it will be if I lose any more.  I do understand your upset and frustration at the woman in the store though.  I often find myself explaining to people, store clerks, friends and acquaintenances, that I have a hearing problem and need them to speak a little louder.  It even happens at the doctor's office sometimes, and they know.  It can be very upsetting and frustrating and I can really empathize.  Hang in there, some people do listen and care and will accomodate you if they know about your problem.  I also have to say a chuckled when I read further down and saw what you said about not hearing  your husband's snoring anymore.  My husband has been keeping me awake for years with his snoring until recently.  Since I've always slept on my left side and still do, I barely notice his snoring now.  There's a silver lining to every cloud!  Hang in there.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!