Author Topic: Lack o f saliva after surgery  (Read 6132 times)

Karen

Lack o f saliva after surgery
« on: June 09, 2005, 12:23:17 pm »
Has anyone had trouble with taste after surgery.  My surgery was 19 months ago.  I have facial paralysis and have had the 12/7 nerve graft done.  The dentist said I have less saliva on the left side which is where my AN was.  My tongue is drier on htat side and sour things and minty tings bother me when I eat or drink.  Also I have a numb cornea with no tears.  Have any of you been swimming and how do you take care of the eye in the pool.  Do any of you bike ride?  I am just now starting to ride again as my balance was affected.  Is anyone planning on going to the AN convention in Florida this month?  I would like to talk to anyonne who has had the 12/7 done.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

heyyouconnie

Re: Lack o f saliva after surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 07:20:50 am »
I am sorry to hear that after 19 months you are still having problems. That depresses me so. I only had surgery Mar 1 and are hoping my face and eye heals any day. I know it will be months yet, but couldn't be soon enough. Yes, I have little saliva and dry eye on the surgery side. I mostly can't taste anything on that side, and it is hard to feel the food I chew and find where it is in my mouth on that side. Now even, when I chew on that side, sometimes my moler will hurt too. I try to eat only on my healthy side. I don't know about swimming with your eye, but when ever I take a shower and get soap in my bad eye, I think nothing can hurt this bad. It just burns and burns for a long time. I wouldn't want to deal with cloreen (sp) too. Nope, not going to the convention.

matti

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 12:12:18 pm »
I am 7 years post op and still have very little, if any saliva production on my left side. My facial nerve was severly damaged by the tumor and had facial paralysis for 4 months after surgery. I would say that my facial nerve recovered to about 75%. I am dilligent about dental hygiene and more frequent visits to the dentists due to the lack of saliva. As far as taste, I did lose some. I sometimes have a metallic taste, but what I reallly can't seem to tolerate is salt. Drives my family crazy, because they keep telling me, they don't taste any salt, and that is ALL I can taste. As for swimming, which I do daily, I use goggles. I don't wear mascara anymore, because the products that I would use to remove it, would always burn my eye. What I still have been unable to do is cry. Gosh! A girl has got to have a good cry once in a while!!!!

From the getgo, I have kept a very positive attitude and Yes, some days are a little more difficult, escpecially with complete hearing loss in one ear, but this experience has made me a much stronger person.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 07:07:47 pm »
    Can't help you with the 12/7 info but I am going to the symposium.   I went to the last one also mostly then as a good way to see Disneyland plus meet other ANers.       I am 3 1/2 yrs post op mid fossa and now am found to be NF2  1 1/2 yrs ago.       This time looking forward to Disney World and more ANers.      I had facial paralysis and dry eye for 3 1/2 mos post op.   
                              Cheryl R.         
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

luv2teachsped

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 04:26:49 pm »
Hi!  A lack of saliva, dry eye and sinus problems frequently all go together.  You can buy a mouth spray for dry mouth.  One is by Biotene and the other is by Oralgel.  Good Luck!
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 11:42:49 pm »
After reading your posts about the struggles you are having with facial nerve damage, I can only say I am so sorry.  You are 54.  I am a 63 year old Grandma.  Yes, we want life back the way it was.  But thank God we will have life and more time with the people we love.  This is not to say we shouldn't strive to heal ourselves and be the best we can be.  But your age has taught you many things.  You have learned how to cope.  You have learned to be patient and a rock to those around you.  Our Grandchildren and families depend on us to be there without concern for our looks as we "once were".  Please be my pen pal.  Hang in there, be my rock.  I have surgery to go yet.

P.S.  Our twin grandboys made gave me the name "Boppie", I love it.  But my name is Lois.  Try Biotene toothpaste for the saliva problem, and Celluvisc eye drops for the eye.

Karen

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 09:09:20 am »
Boppie, I too will have twin grandsons.  They are due in Jan.  That and my family, my husband who has been a rock of support and my two grandkids are what keep me going.  I would be glad to be your penpal.  When is your surgery?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear