Author Topic: weight gain  (Read 1740 times)

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
weight gain
« on: September 04, 2007, 12:10:04 am »
well its been a year since my AN surgery left side very large  tumor actually took two surgeries because of swellen and fluid on the brain.   Its been a long year and Im still not[/u] back to my old self. I have facial paralyzes rhat was surpose to be gone in 6 months to a year. And is not.  And I have gained about 30lbs ! yak :'( At first when I got out I looked anarexia now I gained my wweight back plus more. I dont know if its from this surgery or just me and my  metabolism??   So just curious anyone have this problem????? ??? ???
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: weight gain
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 06:12:01 am »
Hi there Linny:   I had lost quite a bit of weight immedicately post op, gained some back, lost it again.   I'm one of those people who can shed pounds quickly, & put them on just as fast - for me it's what I eat (& it would help if I MOVED more other than  at work).  I geuss it depends on you getting back to your regular activity level?  Have you noticed any changes in that department?
Always good thoughts,  Nancy   (ps:  be patient with the facial paralysis - it can take upwards of 2 years !!!  Hang in there !)
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: weight gain
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 02:52:38 pm »
Hi, Linny:

I'm sorry to learn that you aren't back to your old self, a year after surgery. 

The weight gain must be frustrating.  You probably already know that weight gain often has more to do with diet and exercise than anything else.  However, my primary care physician told me that surgery sometimes 'rearranges' hormones and can affect your metabolism, for better or worse.  I lost over 30 pounds prior to my surgery due to a severely decreased appetite caused by the (AN-related) loss of my sense of taste.   14 months later, I'm just beginning to notice a slight weight gain.  I intend to make sure I don't gain back more weight than I should, even if I have to give up some foods or (gasp!) exercise.   

Your continuing facial paralysis must be even more discouraging.  It would be for me.  Unfortunately, this sometime happens to AN patients, whether they're treated with surgery or radiation.  If your doctor told you the facial paralysis would be gone in six months to a year, he probably assumed that if no facial nerves were cut during surgery, the nerves would resume functioning.  Obviously, he was wrong.  Nerve regeneration can take years and even getting the facial nerves to begin functioning again following a long period of inactivity can be problematic.   If you haven't already, you should speak to your doctor about this.  Vestibular therapy may be your next course of action.  Meanwhile, watch your food intake and try to get some form of exercise to help the weight problem as well as help keep you fit. 

You've really been through a lot.  We wish you a full recovery and better days ahead.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:09:47 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.