Author Topic: age requirements for GK?  (Read 3238 times)

eugd

age requirements for GK?
« on: September 18, 2006, 11:47:48 am »
I am a 32 year old with a 2cm mass, and wondering if anyone my age has gotten the procedure done on this forum? What were your complications and what was the success rate that your doctor told you? I appreciate all of your anticipated help....
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

Laura

Re: age requirements for GK?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 01:32:17 pm »
Hi Eugene. I'm 33 and my doctor was hesitant about doing the procedure because of my age. He said they don't really know the long-term effects of the radiation so he didn't want to chance it. I wasn't ready to undergo the real knife so I opted for a watch and wait... Good luck in your decision!
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

shoegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 01:44:26 pm »
Eugene,

Hi, welcome!  There are some others here - whom are close to your age that have had GK.  I am 34 and had Cyberknife.   Different than GK but still radiosurgery.  There are others my age and younger that have had CK as well.

Do you know what kind of tumor it is?  If you'd like you can post your question on the CK support and one of the doctors will answer accordingly. 
Some of the doctors who volunteer on the board (perhaps all of them) have done GK as well as CK.  They should be able to respond to your question.

www.cyberknifesupport.org

Best wishes! 
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Kilroy1976

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 03:46:37 pm »
I was 29 when I had radiosurgery. Not Gamma Knife, but close enough for government work. From the studies I've read, the success rate of the GK is upwards of 90%.

You may or may not have problems as a result of the procedure. Radiation is a tricky thing; it's a Godsend in some ways, but it's a curse in others. It's not a very good answer, but it "just depends." It depends on the location of the tumor. It depends on the skill of the GK operator. It depends on you as a patient. It depends on pure blind luck. Like most other medical procedures, nobody really knows how it's going to turn out, but, all other things being equal, the GK is probably going to give you as high of a chance for success as any other option.

Just remember, at this age, you're (I assume) relatively healthy and able to deal with and recover from any effects of the radiation. That ability will only diminish as you age. Also, that tumor is already starting to get up there in size, and it probably has a long time to grow if you're only 32.

Best of luck!

1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

eugd

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 06:05:10 pm »
Thanks for all of your feedback....the tumor is a swanoma, on the 8th cranial nerve, pushing slightly on the ponds....
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 07:56:28 pm »
I'm scheduled for GK on Friday, and will be 40 in a few months.

Ellen
2.3cm AN diagnosed 6/13/06.
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.
Dr. Greorg Noren, Providence RI.
http://savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm