Author Topic: Drs Thomas Eby or Jim House in Mississippi? Any input re either?  (Read 5677 times)

jam

Drs Thomas Eby or Jim House in Mississippi? Any input re either?
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:48:36 pm »
Just diagnosed with 1cm AN.... conferring with both of these physicians and need input re each of them as i try to determine options.  Thanks to all.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Drs Thomas Eby or Jim House in Mississippi? Any input re either?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:43:43 pm »
jam -

I searched for both of these doctors on the Forum, but didn't find any posts that mention either of them.

The most important thing in treatment of an acoustic neuroma is to find a doctor or doctors who have lots of experience in treating ANs - whether it's through surgery or radiation.  An acoustic neuroma of 1 cm should mean you have the choice of either of these treatments.

Have you contacted the ANA and requested their informational literature?  It's very well-written and will give you a list of things to ask the doctors you consult with.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jam

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:32:50 am »
jan,
Thanks so much for your reply... we are doing lots of checking re doctors, etc... in touch with House Clinic in L.A. and may head out there for surgery... lots to digest.
Would love to stay closer to home but you are so correct re experience, etc...
Best to you.
jam

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:45:00 pm »
jam -

not that House isn't a good place, but if you don't want to travel that far there are many, many places closer to home where you can get great results.

My docs in Illinois - much closer to you that LA - are wonderful and there are many others on the Forum who have docs closer to you that had great results.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 07:01:39 pm »
Hi jam and welcome!

I don't know either of the doctors you mentioned, but I had my surgery in Nashville, TN at Vanderbilt and had good results and would highly recommend checking them out.  I'm not sure how far that would be for you, but I know it's closer than LA.  (I'm geographically challenged - can you tell?)

PM me anytime and if you want you can call me.  I'm on the Willing to Talk list from the ANA if you have it, or I can PM you my phone number if you like.

I agree with Jan that there are many doctors closer to you with a great deal of experience that come highly recommended from others here on the forum.  I'm one of those that did not want to travel that far for my treatment and I was fortunate to find doctors right in my own backyard.

Good luck on your search for info!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

RichardMS

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:21:48 pm »
Jam -

Have you thought about Ochsner Hospital in New Orleans...I used Drs. Timothy Molony and Roger Smith...very pleased.

RL

tgillesp

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 05:49:09 pm »
I realize this topic is old, but I wonder if this is the same dr. as Dr. James House in Jackson, Mississippi.  I have found the Jackson Ear Clinic (Thanks Jan) and they treat ANs.  I do not know the level of experience or how to find out.  I have read his biography and it says he did research at House Institute in LA and that he did a clinical fellowship there as well.  I am hopeful that this means he has the experience.  I originally was referred to Vanderbuilt at Nashville.  It has been 2 weeks since my diagnosis and I still have not heard back from them for an appt.  I suppose this is a good thing as it has given me the opportunity to do more research.  In calling BCBS, it is evident that Vandy will not be covered at the in-network level, and unless I can get an approval for the out of network review, then I couldn't go to Vandy anyway.  I understand what has been said about experience over insurance, but unfortunately for me, I am not in a financial position to choose.  I am already struggling on my teacher salary to pay the medical bills that have already accrued, including hearing aides.  I am still undecided at this time, and do plan to check with insurance about Vandy, but I also must consider the distance (9 hrs to Vandy vs. 3 hrs to Jackson) as far as follow-up care.  Any thoughts or advice are certainly welcome and appreciated.  And again, thanks to all for your continued support and advice. 
diagnosis 8/25/2010 5mm acoustic neuroma...second opinion by Dr. Chang says I have no tumor!!!

SRH

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 06:02:16 pm »
I was diagnosed with AN four years ago. It has come to a point when the wait and see time has come to an end. I also live close to Jackson, MS and am looking for a doctor close by. I have heard good stuff about Dr. House but am not sure if he takes care of AN too. Any information would be much appreciated.