Author Topic: Facial Neuroma in Australia - Surgery 6th March  (Read 4119 times)

mattp

Facial Neuroma in Australia - Surgery 6th March
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:07:27 am »
Hey guys,

I know I have another thread going, but thought I'd let you know that my surgery has been confirmed as Wednesday March 6th.

Only 3 more sleeps until the operation now, which I'm strangely looking forward to. My headaches are now starting to be a constant reminder of the ever-growing bastard in my head, and my surgeon took one look at my scans from last week and said "yep, you need to come in asap". That all tells me that the sooner this gets done the better!

Thanks to those on this board who have provided me with the feedback & pespective that I've been asking for, its all been fantastic. I will check in as soon as I can after the operation to let you know it went.

See you on the other side!

Cheers,

Matt
May 2011 - Diagnosed with 5cm+ AN
June 2011 - Surgery performed, 5cm+ FN discovered. Tumor de-bulked, nerve preserved. Facial weakness post-op approx. HB 4, recovered to HB 2.
November 2012 - MRI shows significant growth of tumor.
March 2013 - Tumor completely removed. Complete facial paralysis LHS.

char1957

Re: Facial Neuroma in Australia - Surgery 6th March
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:45:24 am »
Hi Matt,
Looking forward to hearing that all is well with you after your surgery.  Keep up the great attitude you have,  it will take you a long way.  Wishing you the very best!
Blessings,

Char
2.5 AN right side, diagnosed 12/12/09
Retrosigmoid Surgery 2/8/10
Encompassed 4th-8th Cranial Nerves
Lost hearing and balance w/other deficits
3rd year MRI no regrowth on AN, but found 10mm Menengioma right frontal lobe

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 11:34:05 pm »
Hi Matt, 

Planned on posting on the other thread this evening but found this knew one, so here I am.  So glad you started this new one so everyone knows when your surgery is.  Will be thinking about you the next few days and especially on the 6th.  It just so happens that it's the 18th anniversary of my first day of work after my surgery, that's a good sign. 

Sure glad they were able to set the date so you can be rid of the monster once and for all.  We will be here waiting for you on the other side with information when you need it and encouragement to get you through the rough spots.  If memory serves me correctly your quite a few hours ahead of us so will have to do some checking so I know when to really be sending good thoughts your way while your in surgery, I'm assuming it will be first thing in the morning. 

Any chance someone else could post for you right after your surgery?  Can't wait to here from you! 

Take Care, Jill :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:54:49 am »
We will all be here awating for your post op posts. Keeping you in my prayers and I'm glad your getting this put behind you.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 03:14:23 pm »
Matt,  Just wanted to let you know I've been thinking about you, hope the surgery went well.  Hope to hear from you or a friend soon.  Jill :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

mattp

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 03:22:52 pm »
Hi all,

Well here I am! Lying in my hospital bed but all went amazingly well considering.

The surgeons are saying I am hugely lucky to be alive, but it was ultimately successful. The entire tumor is gone and they have preserved a small part of my facial nerve!! In all, I have a slight droop on my left side but the main thing is my eye - I am getting a gold weight inserted in a few weeks.

Thanks so much for your support, I will post a more detailed summary once I'm at home.

Cheers, 

Matt
June 2011 - Surgery performed, 5cm+ FN discovered. Tumor de-bulked, nerve preserved. Facial weakness post-op approx. HB 4, recovered to HB 2.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:01:29 pm »
Congratulations, Matt!

Thanks for posting so quickly and now, rest as needed and get back to us when you're up to it.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jill Marie

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 10:34:48 pm »
Hi Matt,

I was so happy to see that you posted so soon after your surgery. :D  Glad to hear the surgery went well.  Since the doctors said, "You are lucky to be alive", I'm assuming you will have quite the story to tell when you are up to it.  As Jim said, we can wait for your story, rest first.  I figured from what you had previously posted that you would have the whole tumor removed so I'm not surprised.  All in all I bet you are glad it's gone, now on to recovering.  My tumor was a left side one as well, fitting as I'm left handed and left footed. 

As for your eye, I never had a gold weight so can't advice you there but as you well know I have dealt with a lot over the years and will help you as much as I can.  It will be a while before you know the whole affects of the surgery and recovery.  Just so you know, if you have continued issues with your eye the lens I have now is WONDERFUL, forget I have it in my eye, except when I realize I haven't used ointment in quite a while. 

Please feel free to ask any question about what you are going through, someone on this board has gone through whatever it is you want to know about and will be happy to help you. 

Take care of yourself, rest so your body can heal!  Jill

mattp

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 12:59:16 am »
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the kind wishes & support - it has definitely helped. I'm home today, exactly a week after spending my first night in there. As I mentioned, everything went well but things didn't go entirely as thought.

When the surgeon got in there, he found the tumor to be enormous. It has ended up being an acoustic nueroma after all, with a whole bunch of facial nerve involvement. Basically, the tumor was squashing the facial nerve flat and had attached itself quite nastily to the brain stem. My surgeon has over 20 years experience in nuerosurgery, and he says it was one of the most difficult and riskiest operations he has ever performed - repeatedly said how lucky I am.

As a result of the tumor being acoustic, my facial nerve is in tact - with hugely limited function however. Because it was under such duress, it may never recover much more than it is now. I am looking relatively normal at rest, with my left eye not closing at all and the left side of my face not moving much either. There is some hope that it will improve over the coming weeks & months. As I mentioned, the weight that I am having inserted will help with the eye closure.

I am relieved its all over, and just need to take my time recovering now! Especially as I'm so lucky to come out of the operation feeling as well as I do - it could have all been very different.

Thanks again for the well wishes, I'll check in again in a few days :)

Cheers,

Matt

Jill Marie

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:58:38 pm »
Welcome Home Matt!

Wow, it sounds like you were indeed lucky!  My tumor was bigger then they thought also when they got in there, but not pressing on the brain stem like yours.  From what I have read the brain stem tumors do indeed seem to cause the more serious issues.  Try and be patient with that poor depressed facial nerve, the nerves are amazingly resilient so hopefully it will function a lot better for you over time.  Perhaps someone that has had a flattened nerve will see your post and give you a better idea of what you might expect.  Despite the fact that a doctor has done similar surgeries for years each one is different and one really knows the end results tell the time comes.  You're young and active so you have those things going for you. 

You certainly seem to be in the right frame of mind for helping the recovery progress, although this isn't the outcome you would have liked you know you are lucky it went so well!  Please keep us posted!  Jill 8)

Tamjx

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 07:11:50 pm »
Hi Matt,

I am also an Austin patient. I was wondering who ur neurosurgeon was as I am due to head to Melbourne early April to see my ent surgeon to discuss removal of AN regrowth. Last op I had prof Fabinyi but have heard he retired.

Regards
Tammy

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 10:31:45 am »
Recover takes a long time. I am sure you will regain more movement in your face. Just keep the faith. One of my wife's friends had a gold weight inserted in her eye, and later had it removed, because her facial nerve was becoming more functional. Glad to hear you are home...best place to recover.

James