Author Topic: Cerebellum Retraction and Dr Friedman  (Read 4615 times)

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
Cerebellum Retraction and Dr Friedman
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:36:49 pm »
Still reading....
For those of you who have been with Friedman at HEI, do you know what his approach uses cerebellum retraction?  Looks like its really not a good idea.  Thanks
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Cerebellum Retraction and Dr Friedman
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:41:54 pm »
He did my translab approach surgery.  Do not think it is an issue as much as with retrosigmoid approach.  Call and/or email him and ask him ..... he will tell you.  I would have to presume much depends upon the size and specific location of your particular AN, as well as the level and quality of hearing you have at this point, for the recommended approach by any surgeon.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

stephSF

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 10:52:58 pm »
Clarise, by the way, I always look for your posts.  You are kind of like my hero already!  Manuel got my fax today, and scans should arrive tomorrow.  I am scared....but want to move on and forward.  I am not a candidate for W and W because of my personality and control issues.  LOL
Thanks for responding to so many of my questions!
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:15:06 am »
Stephanie .....

I private messaged you so look in "My Messages."

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mk

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:33:50 am »
Brain retraction is usually an issue with retrosigmoid and middle fossa. It is needed to gain access to the tumor (whereas with translab the tumor is accessed through the IAC, so there is no retraction involved.)
You are right that retraction using conventional brain retractors can cause problems and is a risk to be considered (together with the potential benefits) when deciding a particular surgical approach.
Having said that, not all doctors use conventional brain retraction for retosigmoid. My neurosurgeon specializes in retrosigmoid and he told me that he hasn't used brain retractors for 10 years. What he does is he positions the head in such a way that the brain retracts slightly with the aid of gravity, so that he can gain access to the tumor.
Certainly worth asking your doctor about this.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 02:27:46 pm »
To add another perspective to the issue of cerebellum retraction: I underwent retrosigmoid approach AN 'debulking' surgery and, post-op, the neurosurgeon informed me that he retracted my cerebellum "just a tiny bit".  I had an excellent, rapid recovery (no headaches or facial immobility) and I believe I can safely say that the retraction had no ill effect.  However, this is an anecdotal observation and does not make a case that cerebellum retraction during AN surgery is risk-free, only that it does not pose an inherent risk of unpleasant complications.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JAndrews

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 07:39:09 pm »
Friedman is an expert. He will know exactly what approach to use.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 09:06:02 pm »
Steph
did you ask Dr. Friedman?
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

stephSF

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 11:27:11 pm »
Mindy, I am going to ask him at pre op on the 24 th. 

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 01:18:13 pm »
Here is a post I did on cerebellar retraction back in '06:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=2650.msg27897#msg27897
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.