Author Topic: Dr. Leonetti or Dr. Friedman  (Read 6482 times)

Guru

Dr. Leonetti or Dr. Friedman
« on: August 29, 2011, 04:04:34 pm »
I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma in 2004.  Initially, it was very small, but it’s large enough now [1.5 cm (AP) x 1.6 (trans) cm x 1.4 cm (CC)] that I’ve concluded that surgery is necessary.  I plan to have the translab procedure.

I’ve seen Dr. Wiet and Dr. Leonetti in Chicago.  I eventually stopped seeing Dr. Wiet, and for the past several years, have seen only Dr. Leonetti.  I’ve also had phone consultations with Dr. Friedman at HEI for the past several years.

I am equally fond of both doctors, but since I live in the Chicago area, it would be most convenient to have my surgery with Dr. Leonetti.  I’m also aware that he has a fantastic reputation. But I’ve heard such spectacular things about the House clinic -- and about Dr. Friedman in particular – that I’m contemplating having the operation done there.  I feel I may have lost perspective at this point and am interested in hearing any thoughts on whether, assuming that everything else is equal, I would have any chance of a better outcome with Dr. Friedman than Dr. Leonetti.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Dr. Leonetti or Dr. Friedman
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 05:22:53 pm »
Hi Guru and welcome to this forum!

Admittedly I am biased, but I would go with Drs. Friedman and Schwartz at HEI without giving it another thought.  They are an excellent team.  I have had a wonderful outcome from my surgery done by them three months ago.

I know nothing about Dr. Leonetti and he may be good, as well.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:28:45 pm »
Personally I'd steer clear of Leonetti - not a great bedside manner by any means. 

If you want to stay local, which having done so myself I highly recommend, I'd go with Richard Wiet (who has more experience than Leonetti) or his partner (my doc) Robert Battista.  An added benefit of having Battista as your doc is that he does both surgery and radiation (GK) which judging by the size of your AN you'd probably be eligible for (depends on location).

Dr. Friedman is an excellent doctor, but as one who stayed local and had a fantastic outcome I can't imagine traveling for AN surgery.

Just my two cents - and like Clarice, I'm admittedly biased.

Jan
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:31:51 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tichinose

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 07:03:55 am »
I also would not give it another thought. I would go with Dr. Friedman in a heartbeat. I just had 2nd surgery in july of 2011. No one could tell. I came out 100% better a day after surgery. Good luck

ksiwek

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:43 am »
I am in the Milwaukee area and had my surgery done by Dr Friedman in LA last year.  I am so glad that I did and do not regret my decision at all.  I often times find myself reflecting on how lucky I am to have had a supportive family to get me there and insurance coverage for HEI.  Dr Friedman and Schwartz are amazing at what they do!

Having said, I had my BAHA done by Dr Battista in Chicago and found his personality to be lovely.  He took his time with me in every appt and I never felt rushed.  His office was very easy to work with.

Send me a PM if you want to talk specifics.  I am happy to share!

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

JAndrews

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 06:26:51 pm »
Definitely House Ear.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

sterry

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:11:32 pm »
I would chose Dr. Friedman again and again. The travel part is the easy part of this journey!
Susie in Sheridan Wyoming
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

rvb755

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 01:58:01 pm »
Hi Guru, I can only comment on Dr. Friedman not on Dr. Leonetti.  I had Translab surgery on 8-24-11 with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at HEI.  They truly were amazing and I highly recommend them.  I traveled from Michigan and have no regrets about travelling.  I am currently recovering at home and should be able to return to work in a couple of weeks.

Rick
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

Desilu

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:31:51 am »
Hi GURU,

I have to agree with Jan, from what I have been told by numerous AN patients, Dr. Leonetti is not the most pleasant Dr. to talk to. He may be a fine and outsanding surgeon but if you want the whole package (Great bedside manor and great surgeon) you will most likely have to go to House. My surgery was 6 years ago, and I had Dr. Brackmann (Awesome man) and Dr. Hitselburger(now semiretired) but the new and up coming "Stars" of House seem to be the Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz combination. If you decide to travel for surgery, House is the place to go! (My personal opinion) I wish you the best. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

wwarr

• Attitude is everything =)
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 08:52:34 am »
Hi Guru,

Sorry, this is a late post. 

I too am a biased opinion but hands down would suggest Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz @ HEI.  They are incredible surgeons and I had a wonderful outcome. The traveling wasn't a problem and they have the Seton Guest Center on the hospital campus. 

Good luck with your upcoming decision and surgery.   :)
4 mm x 8 mm 12/08
1.4 cm rt. AN middle fossa on 7/23/10
hearing and facial nerve preserved. Grateful for brilliant surgeons Dr. Friedman/ Dr. Schwartz @ HEI in LA, CA.

post op chronic headaches
”Faith in every footstep...let go and let God”

jennifer7

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 11:15:15 am »
Hi Guru
I'm sorry I'm even later in replying but I have to tell you what an incredible experience I had with Dr Leonetti.  I had my original surgery done elsewhere and shortly after started having terrible headaches after having no help from my doctors I looked for someone who would try.  Dr Leonetti along with the pain clinic at Loyola tried quite a few different procedures starting with the least invasive and working up to a second surgery.  I had an appt there about every other week and drove from Michigan but they did not believe in the wait and watch approach for pain management.  Dr Leonetti performed my second surgery removing my suboccipital nerve which had developed a traumatic neuroma from my first surgery, the surgery was quick and easy.  I was back to work in a week.  When Dr Leonetti first said our next option was surgery I told him of my fear of having another surgery, he explained why it was the best option and told me to call when I was ready, he didn't pressure and wasn't upset that I didn't agree with him. 
I could go on, I really think highly of him, in the short time I've been a patient I've been very impressed.
God Bless with your up coming surgery
Jennifer
retrosig 2/10/10 1.2cm
headaches, facial weakness, tinnitus
hearing preserved :)

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 07:41:23 pm »
I have actually had tumors removed by both Leonetti and Friedman... I'll just say that my experience with Loyola was horrible and I will never step foot back in that place.. Leonetti was just OK but the rest of it was terrible. HEI and Friedman was a complete 180 for me.. fantastic thru the entire process.
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)