Author Topic: Nighttime driving!!!  (Read 4121 times)

kathleen anna

Nighttime driving!!!
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:31:55 pm »
Is it just me, or is nighttime driving a little challenging????  I have been doing ok during the day, but nighttime was a little scary!!!    Anyone else feel this?   Thanks...Kathleen Anna

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Nighttime driving!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:22:15 pm »
Kathleen Anna .....

I do not like to drive at night, not only because it is more challenging, but also because I am absolutely lost trying to walk by myself in the dark (especially uneven surfaces and in and out of partial light) when I get to where I am going.  But remember I have no functioning vestibular nerves on either side so I am not a typical AN patient.

I have learned how to navigate our bedroom in the semi-dark, with the use of nightlights and touching dressers, walls, etc.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sterry

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 10:12:13 pm »
Yes, it is harder to drive at night, good thing cars have lights or I wouldn't make it anywhere.  And I hate to admit it but driving is easier than being a passenger.
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 08:54:28 am »
I didn't drive for a long time after my surgery and only during the day at first.  I began driving short distances at night and did get used to it after a while.  I feel like I still can't see as well at night and always wear my glasses, but the disorientated feeling I had where it seemed like the world around the car was moving too fast for me to process it is virtually gone.  Unless I'm really tired...

I'm sure as you challenge yourself at night more you will get used to it.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

deheisel11

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 12:23:01 pm »
I didn't drive at night for 4 months.  One night I went over to a friend's house for cards.  I didn't pay attention to how dark it was getting.  The drive was fairly long and I was petrified.  The night definitely made driving more difficult.  I don't know if I have been driving more but I have no problems at night anymore (6 months).  Just wanted to let you know that it gets better.
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 12:26:59 pm »
You are definitely not alone it is harder driving at night but it does get better...

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Brewers7

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 01:18:24 pm »
Kathleen Anna,
     I did not drive at all for a long time and then I started on the golf cart.  Later I graduated to daytime driving locally.  Although I swore that I would not drive at night, I now drive anywhere anytime.  For me it was a matter of building up my confidence.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 04:59:18 pm »
Kathleen Anna ~

As you can see, I think the majority of AN patients have some level of difficulty driving at night.  Although it's a relatively minor problem for me, I limit my night driving to locally only and avoid long drives after dark.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kathleen anna

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 06:05:41 pm »
Thanks so much for the responses!   I will definately keep my distances short at night for a while!  But I will continue to do it.........just another obstacle to overcome!!!!   Thanks for letting me know there is light at the end of the tunnel!!!    Kathleen Anna :)

opp2

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 08:08:16 pm »
What difficulties are you all experiencing at night? I may have missed it, but a lot are saying they don't want to/won't drive at night. For what reasons I wonder?
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 08:29:17 pm »
I do a lot of night driving, as I work night shifts...I am almost a year postie now and it's not too bad, but I do notice the more tired I am the worse it is, but those times are getting fewer and far in between.
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 11:00:29 pm »
My surgery was in May 2007 and I still find nighttime driving challenging at times. 

I also found that parking between the lines in a parking lot was very challenging for many months post op.  I'd think I'd positioned my car in between the lines, only to find once I exited my car that I had actually parked on an angle  :P  I've gotten better at that as time has gone on, but I still can't park like I used to  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 02:23:20 am »
Night time driving continues to be difficult for me, 20 years after the fact! Many people have difficulty with "night vision" for various reasons, my eye on the AN side doesn't react to light/dark as quickly as the other.....needless to say this causes "night blindness" with on coming cars etc......don't "look into the light" lol ( don't look directly at oncoming headlights)
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 11:57:43 am »
And I hate to admit it but driving is easier than being a passenger.

I second that.

I had a bad experience recently. I was the passenger in the back seat. We were headed in circles down a parking garage to the lower lever & the driver was going a bit fast. I almost made a mess in her brand new car. Luckily, I recovered soon after we parked.

When I'm a passenger, my neck ends up soar. I seem to be much more sensitive to the acceleration, deceleration, or braking of the car than I was pre-surgery. It's harder to hold my head balanced. I turn into a bobble-head.

When I drive, there's the advantage of knowing when I'm going to accelerate or stop & I can brace myself for it. I can't see myself ever riding rollecoasters again if this is what I go through daily in my car.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

cecile k

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 09:59:44 pm »
I try avoid driving at night as well - especially if it is raining. Somehow, things just appear 'unstable' and I have a hard time judging if the car is far enough from center line or the ditch! And, no, I don't touch alcohol lol

Cecile