Author Topic: Denise and Kathy meet............  (Read 2681 times)

Obita

Denise and Kathy meet............
« on: May 22, 2006, 05:59:11 pm »
Hi Everyone:

Denise and I met yesterday for coffee.  I feel like I have known her for years.  Funny how things just pour out of your mouth when you have a common connection with someone. 

We plan on seeing more of each other as we are only 40 miles apart.   Our next meeting:  A movie.  I have not gone to a movie since my surgery.  It is one of my big fears now that I am SSD.  Will it be too loud?  Thanks Denise.......its time to face my fears!!

Kathy O'Brien

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Battyp

Re: Denise and Kathy meet............
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 06:05:03 pm »
Kathy movies are my life right now.  I haven't noticed them being too loud with the ssd.  The problem I come across if people talk or there is a lot of noise I have trouble hearing what is on the screen.  I've learned to sit with my "good" ear out.  Also, most theaters now offer headsets which I haven't tried yet but think it should help with the residual noise.  My head is still so sensitive I dont' want anything on it.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 06:48:13 pm »
so thrilled you got to meet Denise. I've only had the pleasure of harrassing her on the telephone. Sounds like you all had a terrific visit and I'm convinced that meeting folks (in realtime) from here makes the world of difference... right CrazyKat/Paul?  RIGHT PAUL?  ??? ;)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

matti

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 10:20:56 am »
Hi Kathy - Glad you and Denise met. Isn't this forum wonderful!!!!!

As far as movies, for me it depends on the type. Action/thriller movies are very difficult and almost painful.  The headsets that BattyP mentioned work good, allowing you to adjust your own level.

Take care,
Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 01:30:02 pm »
Dr. Love had to practically carry me out of King Kong!  Go see a good chick flick for your first movie since SSD--those high-paced-thriller-action-special-effects buggers are really rough on ya! I try to put my good ear as far from the speakers as possible--meaning I'm right-eared(good side) so I sit on the left aisle. And I make sure I get an aisle seat as it makes it easier to get the heck outta there.  Walking up the inclined aisle is a trip after sitting in the dark for 2 hrs!

Glad you all got a chance to meet up!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

DeniseSmith

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 06:22:39 am »
I also had a great time on Sunday, and time sure did fly by.  Kathy is a wonderful caring person, I am very glad to have met her. 

I have been to a quite a few movies since my AN surgery and the only problem I have is when i come in late and the lights are low, and I have to go up those crappy uneven stairs.  I can't do it, it throws off my balance big time. Other than that no problems with sound or anything else. Okay, I take that back, when I am munching on my popcorn and it is loud in my ear it kind of over powers the sound of the movie, otherwise, no problem. My solution to that is eat all my popcorn down before the movie starts!!

Looking forward to seeing Kathy O. again, wish more of you lived in the midwest, so we could all go to a movie together!!

Denise

Obita

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 06:26:26 am »
Thanks for the movie advice everyone.  No King Kong for me!!  How about a documentary Denise???  Just kidding.  I'm sure I can handle something with a little action (no I'm not but I will go).

I forgot about one other fear.........getting in a boat.  I miss fishing.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 07:06:03 pm »
Thanks for the movie advice everyone.  No King Kong for me!!  How about a documentary Denise???  Just kidding.  I'm sure I can handle something with a little action (no I'm not but I will go).

I forgot about one other fear.........getting in a boat.  I miss fishing.  Kathy

A fellow AN patient I met a HEI and her husband live aboard their 32 foot sailboat 1/2 the year.  This past year they sailed from Michigan through the Great Lakes and Erie canal to the ICW and down to North Carolina.  This fall they are heading to the Bahamas.  Maryjane has no balance nerve on the AN side, like most of us and does just fine on her boat!
There is hope!!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW