Author Topic: how to find a doctor in Missouri  (Read 7652 times)

lmurray69

how to find a doctor in Missouri
« on: December 01, 2005, 09:55:20 pm »
I live in Sedalia Missouri and I am looking for a surgeon to fix and remove my ana  where can I look :'(Please help ,me I had radiation  in march of 05,  now want the thing removed...
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

lmurray69

Re: how to find a doctor in Missouri add on
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 10:18:01 pm »
I am sorry if I did not make myself clear,Ever sence I found the ana,I have had 5 TIA's   That is how we found the ana , I had radiation in march, and i am real dizzy well This last TIa showed it has grown, It has been awhile sence i had the radiation.. I now would like to have it removed while it is small it si 8mm it was 6 mm  I also have a retentiion cyist in there too...I cant find a doctor..to operate
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

russ

Re: how to find a doctor in Missouri
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 11:07:04 pm »
Hello
  Maybe try Dr. Bruce Gantz at the University of Iowa's OTO Dept. It's in Iowa City.
  Their ENT dept. is rated second in the nation by US News and World Reports.
  I would do a web search and try contacting his secretary for where to send your MRI.
  Best wishes!!
  Russ

jamie

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 11:28:43 pm »
Hello again Imurray

Did your doctor who performed your radiosurgery suggest you should have it removed? You said it was originally 6mm, and nine months post radiosurgery, it is now 8mm. That sounds consistent with swelling that can be associated with the tumor cells dying in the center, that can be a sign of a positive response. The swelling can also make dizziness worse, I asked on the previous thread if you have talked to your doc about anti-infammatory meds to help ease the swelling. It just seems a bit premature for surgery, unless your case is unique and other factors are involved. You know your body better than anyone else. I wish you luck in your search for a good neurosurgeon.
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

ljedwards

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 12:10:59 am »
Hi, lmurray:

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of radiation did you have and where was it done?

There should be several soruces of doctors in Missouri.  Do a net search for "an archieve." On that website is a list of doctors that was created by patients.

Since you are close to Kansas City, check out the KC area support web site at anakc.org.  Dave Kellogg is the leader of the group and may have a list of doctors in the KC area.  Thedinger is one who does surgery at Research.

If you have radiation earlier this year the difference in size may be due to swelling rather than growth.

Jeanne
ljedwards
GK 1998  left side 2.4 x 3.5cm
Midwest GK Center
Kansas City, MO

wanderer

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 12:25:41 am »
Hi,   st. louis is a hot bed for AN surgeons.

Here are some

Dr. Grubb,   barnes hospital
Dr. James Beneke,  (former partner at house ear clinic)   Missouri baptist hospital
Dr. Jaquez Herzog   Professor Washington University,   st. lukes hospital
Dr. Robert kletzger.  Professor Washington University,  St. John's mercy hospital
Dr. Peter Smith,   Missouri baptist hospital.

I saw 4 of the above and spoke with Dr. Grubb on the phone.

Dr. Herzog did my surgery.   I did have some complications but nothing that is permenent.   I had translab surgery and all three doctors agreed with what procedure and hearing preservation rate.

Dr. Beneke was called Brilliant and is a highly respected cochlear implant specialst in addition to neurotologist.

I would start your search with one of the above.

MCE

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 03:04:48 pm »
I'm scheduled with Dr. Herzog and Dr. Polinski for Jan. '06, translab removal of a 2 cm AN, at St. Luke's is STL.  I'll let you know how things go in a few weeks.

wanderer

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 09:27:15 pm »
why is herzog have a 2nd doctor?   he usually does them by himself.

kevins

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 09:18:26 am »
Hi,  Dr. Peter Smith performed my surgery and I was very happy with the results.  I have had no post operative complications.  I returned to work and normal activities three weeks after my surgery.  I have the normal AN issues, tinnitus and some balance issue, but I was told that they could be an issue.  Dr. Smith was a very understanding and caring doctor.

kevins
Kevin Syfert

Desilu

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 05:57:40 pm »
Hello,

I can not help you in finding a doctor in Missouri, but I can help you to get a second opinion free of charge. If you send your films to House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles, talk to Dr. Brackmann and he will give you his opinion free of charge. I hope this might help! I wish you only the best. Making the decision of which doctor to go with is probably the hardest thing to do. You will know when you find the right doctor, he will answer all of your questions and you will feel comfortable with him. If not, it's time to look for another doctor.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

wanderer

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 11:20:25 pm »
To clarify my post,  I had a persistent infection that was eventually treated with IV antibiotics for 8 weeks and since then I have had no problems.    While it took a lot of trial and error it worked out in the end.   Many AN surgeons were contacted about my case as it was highly unusual.    I even spoke with doctor brackmann and house ear clinic who agreed that I was unusual and that he felt Dr. Herzogs approach was correct.

justafactoflife

• Let's Get Er' Done!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 10:33:51 pm »
Hi,

I am glad to recommend Dr Faisel Albanna, MD in St Louis, MO .  I'm from Springfield, MO and he was recommended to me by my neurologist here.  He practices at St Anthony's Hospital, Barnes Hospital, MO Baptist and I believe one other.  He gave me a 20% chance of retaining any hearing at all.  I lost only 40% of my hearing and I now wear a hearing aid but I can still hear.  The first thing I remember when I woke up from surgery was him asking me if I could hear this:  Clicking his fingers next to my ear.  I told him I could and he smiled from ear to ear saying, " Well, you're in my 20% category!"

He has a website http://www.albannaneurosurg.com/index.htm and he is one of the best in the nation I was told.  I believe it now.
Good luck and God's Speed.

Update:  Dr Faisel Albanna no longer performs AN surgeries.  He gave me no reason.  He did recommend Dr Dacey Barnes/Jewish, St. Louis
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 11:45:02 pm by justafactoflife »
AN 1st time, July 2003
7mm x 4mm x 5mm
Subocital/Retrosigmode microsurgery
St Anthony's Hospital, St Louis MO
Dr Faisel Albanna, MD Neurosurgeon

2nd regrowth 1cm x 5mm x 4mm, Oct 2006
3 FSR using Cyberknife
St Anthony's Hos. Oklahoma City
Dr Clinton Medbery, III MD Radiologist

3rd 1.8cm x 12mm

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 09:28:15 am »
I can highly recommend out of the Kansas City area Dr. Charles Leutje who works with Dr. Paul Camarata.  Considered the "A" Team at St Lukes in Kansas City.  Dr. Leutje is one of the best in the nation and "as they say, wrote the book on Translab".  He and his team performed my Translab surgery just 2 weeks ago and I have to say I feel great.  Their care and professionalism had me home 4 days after surgery and I have little to no side effects from the surgery, other than the normal loss of hearing in the affected side and the tinnitus (which was there before anyway) that all complain about.  I am extremely pleased with the care I received and feel fortunate that they were the operating team.
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO