Author Topic: Orbex Device for Facial paralysis  (Read 8707 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Orbex Device for Facial paralysis
« on: March 30, 2009, 04:10:06 pm »
Have you guys heard about this?
Teacher is a lesson in persistence
Obtains patent for medical device
Thursday, January 25, 2007
By Judy Laurinatis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
An accomplished musician, composer and conductor who is a Saint Vincent College music professor received a patent in November for an invention that has nothing to do with music.

Dr. Albert Tiberio, of New Stanton, invented a device to help people overcome facial paralysis because he wouldn't give up searching to alleviate his own condition. Doctors told him it was permanent and irreversible.

V.W.H. Campbell, Post-Gazette
Adele and Albert Tiberio with a copy of their 14-page patent data for a device that helps people with facial paralysis.
Click photo for larger image.
"I thought he's not accepting the reality of the situation," said his wife, Adele.
But Dr. Tiberio proved them wrong. He's proof that, sometimes, something can be done to help the most hopeless of situations.

The story began in 1972, when doctors found tumors on Dr. Tiberio's neck.

They operated, but in order to eradicate all traces of the growths, the surgeon had to cut into a nerve that served the entire right side of his face.

The tumors were benign, and the couple was relieved when no cancer was found. But what remained nearly devastated him.

Half of his face, from his forehead to his chin was paralyzed.

"I play trumpet," he said. That would be out of the question from then on, he found, because his lips barely moved.

He was a teacher, but with his face becoming distorted from the paralysis almost daily, he was having increasing difficulty eating and drinking, let alone talking in front of a classroom.

He had to do something.

Dr. Tiberio checked books out of the University of Pittsburgh's medical library and began reading. He did his research when everyone was asleep so he wouldn't bother anyone and no one would question him.

Mrs. Tiberio told him several times to stop torturing himself with the research, that she loved him with or without the paralysis.

But he was not persuaded.

"When I understand it, I will stop," he told those who questioned him, including his doctors. When he asked them about therapy, they told him none existed. But though they felt exercise wouldn't help, they told him it probably wouldn't hurt, either.

One day something clicked. He understood what was happening to his face and how he might fix it.

The idea for ORBEX was born.

He made a mechanical device that fit into his mouth and put resistance inside his cheeks. His working muscles on the unaffected side of his face created the resistance that exercised the paralyzed side. He exercised with it three times a week, sometimes until the muscles were so energized his face actually turned pink after a session.

Within a month, he was nearly back to normal.

He showed his doctors the change and all were stunned by the recovery. It's unheard of, they told him.

But the excitement soon faded. With his face restored, a career to continue and a family to raise, the device wasn't a priority anymore.

Seven years ago, though, the idea resurfaced. Someone wondered what became of Dr. Tiberio's invention.

He began the voluminous paperwork it takes to apply for, then obtain, a U.S. patent.

Eight weeks ago, it happened.

The mechanical facial exercise system Dr. Tiberio created to help himself became his property officially under law. He's looking to get it manufactured so people who need it will be able to buy it.

Dr. Tiberio is proud of the fact his is a "single-name patent," that will eventually help a lot of people who feel hopeless. He said many patents go to companies where several employees earn them.

Mrs. Tiberio is happy she was wrong when she doubted her husband.

"He's very smart," she said.

But she knew that all along.

First published on January 25, 2007 at 12:00 am

(I called the lady who published this article to see when the device should be for sale. I first read about this device in 2007 so I am very excited about getting this device to add to my facial exercises!)
Angie

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Orbex Device for Facial paralysis
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:43:51 am »
Angie:  I just came across this.   Is Orbex for sale then?  What did you find out??  Cost, etc...   I'd be very interested to give it a try - can't hurt !    Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 01:58:54 pm »
Angie ~

This is fascinating!  I hope this device will be affordable and available soon because it sounds very promising for those who can make use of it.  Thanks for the tip.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 07:48:07 pm »
I tried to google it and find a picture but no luck.
Michelle
Just wondering.
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 04:40:28 am »
me too, if you find a photo send me the link thanks
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 09:53:55 am »
Hey guys,
I called but the lady never called me back. I would love to get my hands on this device. Here is the contact number for the lady that did the interview and write up. I'm thinking she might have information as to where we can get this. I'll try to call her again.
Angie
Judy Laurinatis can be reached at jlaurinatis@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1228.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 09:56:48 am »
Ang go to photobucket and reload your profile photo. It still is not showing up... and we all know you are beeeeutiful!
Michelle  :P
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:44:07 am »
Ang go to photobucket and reload your profile photo. It still is not showing up... and we all know you are beeeeutiful!
Michelle  :P

She's got some extra http code in the beginning that has to be removed.  The photobucket photo is probably fine.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 04:10:36 pm »
I just sent an e-mail to Judy, so we'll see what happens !  I asked if the Orbix has been manufactured yet & if it is for sale (gave a little bit of my history also).
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 05:54:45 am »
hi nancy, let us know the reply, thanks x
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

a333black

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 07:49:34 pm »
Hello

I am new to the site. I have just read about that promising device, please let us know if you heard anything.

Sincerely,
Agnes B
Agnes

AN 2,5cm removed 11/04/2004

a333black

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 08:41:12 pm »
I have found a contact for Mr Tiberio. Do you think we could collaborate an email from ANA Forum members to ask the doctor for more information?

Professor of Music

Second floor, Carey Center

(724) 805-2263

albert.tiberio@email.stvincent.edu

Education

Ed.D., Teachers College, Columbia University
Professional Diploma, Teachers College, Columbia University
M.A., Teachers College, Columbia University
B.S., The Juilliard School

Agnes

AN 2,5cm removed 11/04/2004

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 08:51:35 pm »
Go for it. I plan to contact doctors involved with the Boston Scleral Contact Lenses , originaly developed for Gulf War veterans with facial injuries, to see if they are interested in doing a study of its effectiveness for facial paralysis patients.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

MKLady

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 01:56:11 pm »
Here is the web address for an article that gives additional information about his invention(s).

http://www.stvincent.edu/news_stories/news_stories/saint-vincent-college-music-professor-receives-patent
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.