Author Topic: Getting My Life Back To Normal  (Read 4057 times)

Bryant

Getting My Life Back To Normal
« on: February 22, 2005, 04:34:01 pm »
I am trying to get my life back to "normal" since my acoustic neuroma surgery last year. It has been difficult since I still get tired often and have headaches. I am trying to get back to riding my bicycle since this was a love of mine before AN. I do feel that I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel--finally. I am thankful to ANA for providing helpful information before and after surgery. I hope this will inspire those who just had surgery to keep on trying to get their life together and to understand that it does get easier.

Please post your story to help inspire others.

Dave_S121

Re: Getting My Life Back To Normal
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 08:48:56 pm »
Bryant; All things considered my life is pretty much back to normal.  I had a my 2.2cm AN removed on Oct. 20th, 2004 by Dr. Richard Wiet, Dr. Robert Kazen and Dr. John Ryzerman at Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.  Since only had 15% hearing left they used the translabyrinthine approach.  I loss the hearing, but my recovery went very well.  Out of hospital in 3 days, back at work in 4 1/2 weeks.  I consider myself very lucky because the tumor was not impacting my facial nerve at all, so I didn't have that issue, and that I had a highly experienced surgercal team.  Dr. Wiet fitted me with the Bone Anchor Hearing Aid (BAHA).  I was suppose to get the sound processor last month but have had complications with my BAHA site.  I'm too aggresive of a healer and my skin continues to want to cover up my BAHA site.  I had outpatient surgery a week ago Monday to remove the skin. They looked at my site yesterday and if all goes well I should get my processor in 3 or 4 weeks.  I can't wait.  Everything I've heard about it is positive.  I noticed when they were removing the skin and scraping my BAHA post I could "hear" the metal scraping and my brain was telling me it was coming from my right (AN) side.  Good luck Bryant and hang in there.

68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 05:20:48 pm »
Dave,
Great story, I had a 3 CM tumor removed with 98% hearing still in tact they tried to spare the hearing. My surgery lasted 13 1/2 hours and I lost the hearing on my right side. I am very interested in the BAHA, I was told to wait a year and we would discuss the options. If I understood correctly you just had surgery in October? My surgery was August 26th and like you I had a speedy recovery and am almost back to normal. Could you possibly provide more information for me so I can approach one of my surgeons?
Good luck and happy for you,
Kathleen

Dave_S121

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 06:00:09 pm »
Mary, I'm still waiting for the sound processor to my BAHA.  My doctor said I'm a "very aggressive healer".  Twice they have had to remove skin that wants to grow into my BAHA site.  The site around the post needs to be as free of skin as possible.  The second time was a week ago Monday and during a follow-up appointment my doctor said the site looks much better and hopefully I'll have my BAHA in 3 1/2 weeks.  I plan on posting my experiences when I get it.  I'm very encouraged.  During the recent out patient surgery to remove the skin I was awake, it was a local, and during the surgery they were scrapping against my metal post.  I could "hear" the sound and my mind was telling me it was coming from my right, AN, side.  I will let you know, but everyone I've spoken to has loved them.

Dave
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

thecakes

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 07:06:42 pm »
  I can't get my life back the way it used to be.  The time I found out about my tumor, the company where my husband and I worked for 26 years decided to go to Mexico.  My husband was a forman  there.  So after my operation  there was no place for me to work (I don't think I could do it anyhow}  Staying home is nice, I'v always wanted to be a stay at home Mom, but my kids are older now.  My husband drives truck and I volenteer at the Hospital, I work in the preschool there.  Thats my new normal.

RadiantStar

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 09:39:25 pm »
 ;D  Hi all,
I've been away for quite a time, attempting, the new normal of life after AN surgery!  3 months post-op and here we all are!  Here are some of the things I decided to rehab myself as we are our own best "healers".

I must add that I was motivated by a time of darker emotions and in my heart/mind knew life had to be better why else would I have made it through surgery?

some stuff I do to feel better:

1.  Wake up in the morning, appreciate that I'm still breathing and take a deep breathe in and out.

2.  Volunteer at a "no-kill" animal shelter, and work wiith dogs who are learning to trust again.  Kinda like us.

3.  Visit my elderly parents, and tell them I love them.  In fact I tell everyone I care about that I love them.  Often.

4.  I take my dogs for walks in the park, to regain my mental and emotional balance.  They love it, and I'm able to balance myself on differing terrains.  I also connect with the earth below my feet.

5.  Taking day trips to places of interest to me, recently the botanical gardens, again lots of walking on different terrain.  Get to enjoy the scenery, fresh air, and increased oxygen to my brain.

6.  Facing the fear of uncertainty of who I am now.  I'm the same, only with modifications of deafness, and knowledge that 3 months ago, surgeons were digging around in my brain, but my personality is intact.  I realized that I like me just the way I am.

Everyday is a personal and new journey.  That's how I look at my life now

Kathleen

p.s.  My recovery, has really not been that bad physically or emotionally.  I honestly have had a few dark moments, but nothing else really to complain about.  My heart goes out to those who have had difficult times.  All my best to you all.  Thank you all for being here. 

Much gratitude to this forum, it is a life saver.

Kathleen

matti

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 11:34:51 am »
Kathleen - Welcome back! I have been wondering how you were doing.

My AN surgery changed my life in more ways than I ever imagined, both physically and mentally. In my new life today, I don't sweat the small stuff and I tackle the big stuff on whole different level, in a good and healthy way. I have finally learned to accept what I can not change. I take whatever comes my way and know that I have the inner and outer strength to deal with. I also find that I am not as afraid to try new things. (with the exception of sky diving and bull riding  :))

Happy you are feeling better and know that the hardest part is now behind.

Take care!
matti

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

RadiantStar

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 07:07:26 pm »
Thanks Matti!  Good to be back, I totally agree with you, and can completely understand. 
Yes, I just sense the worst of the experience of the AN surgery is over.  It is much easier to let go, and just relax now without the fear.  Life is joyous.

It's much easier to live moment to moment.
Be well.

Kathleen

thecakes

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 09:56:25 am »
   Life is great.  Your family and your health come first.  I have all of that, so I'm doing great.  I volenteer once a week at the hospitals preschool., and serve communion once a week at another hospital.  I have 2 kids at home yet and they keep me busy also.  My husband drives truck, just day routes,so I see him dayly.  I'm not saying I never get board but I know how lucky I am.  Life is good.  I thank god every day.