Author Topic: A little AN hope for all  (Read 2322 times)

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
A little AN hope for all
« on: May 14, 2008, 04:52:03 pm »
i'm new here and dont know what is or isnt ok in this forum. but i thought this little note might help some of the skittish or those considering AN as an option.

Yesterday evening i had a little progress in my recovery from my AN. I had it done 12/03/07.

The procedure was successful and i am glad to report they got all of it and it was benign which was a biggie for me, even though they told me 95% of them are.

Anyway the operation left me with the rt side of my face sagging and paralyzed. I have no feeling or muscle movement over there at all. This too is , im told , normal and maybe temporary.

Yesterday i was able to close my right eye and open it without doing the same with my left eye. now i cant "blink" that eye yet and it doesnt quite close all the way but it is getting better there too my wife says.

This is just a little improvement but it is one none the less and caused me to at least relax a little to wait for more improvements.

Whether more improvements come or not  as long as i keep those 2 BIGGIES up front:

that they got all they could see , and it was benign  the rest is ok. :)
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: A little AN hope for all
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 05:22:55 pm »
Hey Cherrypiper-

Thanks for sharing this - it is so important to celebrate the victories, whether big or small!  And, blinking is a biggie!  I can't wait until I can blink - you give me lots of hope.  Thank you - and may you have many more biggies...

Debbi - waiting to blink...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:54:26 pm »
Hi Cherrypiper

You're right, hope is what it's all about.  You hope you make the right decisions, you hope everything will be okay.  Every little step forward can be followed by a step backward and that is usually followed by another step forward.  Every improvement is a small victory.  At least that is how I feel.  This afternoon I finally made my decision on the treatment of my AN, which will be microsurgery.  This is the  first step forward in what I hope wihat I hope will be a lot of steps forward.  I wish you a speedy recovery, but if it goes more slowly, be patient and kind to yourself.  One day at a time.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:17:26 pm »
Wendy -

you've made your treatment decision  :)

That's wonderful news!  I know how hard it is to decide.

When you get a date, please put it on the AN Calendar so we can remember to wish you well.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

er

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:23:37 pm »

Hello Cherrypiper,
 The same thing happened to me. I had a gold weight the day I left the hospital because I couldn't close my left eyelid and I was very light sensitive. By the 6 month I was starting to get a lot of my left side back. by a year I was looking normal. I'm still having some slight problems but not compared to when I came out. It will come back.........
Good luck in your journey. you are in the right place.
eve

This is one of their topics & Phyle also placed one last week on one of the threads.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=4.0

cmp

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 05:59:10 am »
Cherrypiper--

congratulations on your eye wink (sounds as if that's what it was, more than a blink)! That really is wonderful news.

I had right sided facial paralysis after removing a 5cm tumor (just like you!), and remember how disappointing it was to watch the months roll by without any movement (at 12 months post op I had a 7-12 anastamosis, where they graft the tongue nerve to the facial nerve to restore symmetry at rest and a little movement), but it sounds as though you are on your way!

I hope other twitches, blinks, and such aren't far behind...  :)
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 06:55:15 am »
YEA!!
Every little thing is a big accoplishment!!  Celebrate!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 08:14:38 am »
Cherrypiper,
  Congratulations on the slowly returning blink function.  As you know it doesn't return all at once.  So, here's hoping for continuing imrovement.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 12:35:03 pm »
Cherrypiper:

I've always used the phrase 'Time Heals' as my guide...because it does.  You're living proof. 

Thanks for sharing your victory with us.  May you have many more in the weeks to come.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 01:22:31 pm »
I agree that hope is what it's all about. That's why I named my AN "Esperanza", which means "hope" in Spanish.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.