Author Topic: metalic taste after GK?CK  (Read 3348 times)

claire1

metalic taste after GK?CK
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:12:12 pm »
Hi

From all the information that I've accumulated on the subject of radiation, one piece sticks out like a sore thumb. That being a metalic taste on your tounge.  When in the redcovery period dose this happen and how long does it last? Duration of time that it takes the AN to disappear/shrink is what it amounts to. Has anyone here had any experience with it?  The radiation oncologist mentioned this to me, not to diet now because thia metalic taste will make me loose weight. Hopefully the weight of the AN.
Anxious to hear feedback
Thanks to all
Claire

sgerrard

Re: metalic taste after GK?CK
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:19:48 pm »
Hi Claire,

That's not a symptom I ever experienced, and it doesn't seem to me to be all that common, although it does happen sometimes. In general, symptoms related to swelling and dying of the AN can come and go for 6 to 18 months after treatment.

I've been eating normally all along. Go on a diet if you want to. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

er

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:31:08 pm »
Hello Claire1,
I didn't receive radiation but the metallic taste on my tongue started as soon as I had surgery. I am 3yr 2 months po and I still have it. It is not as bad as it was when I had surgery but it is still there. I didn't lose weight but my age has a lot to do with my gain weight over the metabolism slowing down. I am always trying to fine something that taste good and the only thing is salty or sweet foods.
But as Steve said he was not one that got that symptom , and you might not either. Good lucky..
eve

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 09:19:04 am »
Hi claire, :-*

I think I had the metallic taste all of 1 day..... nothing since.... I know it's rare.... could happen but very very rare..... should not be of major concern.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sefra22

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 02:13:57 pm »
Hi Claire,
I just started having a metallic taste, and my GK was over a year ago. It's not that bad, in fact I only notice it in the morning. It seems to be better as time goes on, so it must be some kind of "phase"
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

claire1

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 09:40:02 pm »
Hi
Thank You all that replied to the mystery of the metalic taste. Dr's Medbery and Spunberg haven'tr heard of it and didn't appear to be of concern so I'm not.  Too many other things to worry about than to worry about a myth.
Thank You
Claire

er

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 11:38:24 am »
Hi Claire1,

I was at a support group this weeken and I was suprise to see just 2 of us had side affects, out of about 13.

Wow,
So don't be concern.

eve

claire1

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 03:38:37 pm »
Thanks for all your replys and yes it has helped alieviate stress. I'm so much more centered in this fight than ever before.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 04:29:29 pm »
Hi Claire,

From your post I'm gathering that you do not have any metallic taste now, but you are afraid of that happening after you have treatment?  Am I reading this correctly?   I have a medium sized AN and it is probably pressing the facial nerve a bit or a lot, I don't know, and so I started getting a "salty" taste in my mouth before I was diagnosed.  Then, when the area in front of my ear started to go numb, I returned to the doctor and that's when I was finally sent to a neurologist, but by the time I could finally get in a see her, the facial numbness had spread across most of the left side of my face.  This affects the inside of my mouth also and my tongue feels like it has been scalded on the left side. I still have a bit of a "salty" taste and right after my GK I had some metallic taste in my mouth, but it didn't last very long. On occassion, that will return but it, thankfully, isn't something that interferes with my life, or my dinner, either.  When you start messing around with nerves, or nerves get upset...strange things can happen.  Good luck with your treatment and recovery.

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode