Author Topic: EAR INFECTIONS  (Read 1414 times)

gapinbtwn

EAR INFECTIONS
« on: March 09, 2008, 09:10:59 pm »
I was dx'd. with AN a couple of years ago, watch/wait via U. of PA hospital.  I have complete hearing loss in one ear.  At least once a year, my AN ear gets an infection.  Generally, I use prescription ear drops to clear it up.  Three weeks ago, I went to U of PA for annual visit, and the ear was fine.  Last week, it started hurting so bad and itching.  It got so bad, I went to my regular doctor who said "How long has this been bothering you?  It's a really nasty infection that may require wicking or tubes and must have been going on for a long time."  He prescribed a new ear drop and an oral antibiotic.  The oral was "levaquin" and made me so anxious I thought I was having a heart attack, so he switched it to amoxicillin.  Does anyone else have ear infections in their AN ear?  I don't swim so it's not swimmers ear.  And now I'm even wondering since it was so bad so quick this time if I didn't get something in the U of P dr's office.  I go back to regular dr. tomorrow to find out if the antibiotic worked.  Why would I go through more then antibiotic treatment since the hearing is gone anyway?

Thanks for any info.

Cheryl R

Re: EAR INFECTIONS
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 07:42:00 am »
I am taking it that you are having infections of the outer ear canal which would not have anything to do with the AN.    I can not tell you why this is happening.    I am wondering if they do not get cleared up all the way.       The drops or the oral antibiotic would be the course of treatment for this.    You might even ask if a fungus could be involved in this.     I might ask if they could do a culture of the inner ear and if this would give an idea of what is the cause.             I do not know if some people are just more prone to this or not.   
        Good luck in getting this taken care of.
                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care