Author Topic: B-Complex  (Read 3171 times)

jtd71465

B-Complex
« on: August 21, 2007, 07:44:23 am »
Has anyone heard that taking B-complex vitamins / supplements can help with hearing?

Thanks,

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

jerseygirl

Re: B-Complex
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:23:17 am »
Hi JTD,

Yes, I have heard ( and read)  that vitamins B and E can help with age-related hearing loss presumably because they increase the vascular supply to the cochlea. If you google on "vitamins hearing" you will see the studies done, one fairly recently. There is the same  reason to believe that these vitamins can improve the hearing loss after surgery but I presume the sooner you start it, the better the results. In addition, you have to clear it with your doctor to make sure your kidney and liver are OK. Best wishes,

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

NF-2er

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 12:49:39 pm »
Hi;

Just to mention that B-12 is not metabolized when taken orally so a shot is often given.
   I've never heard of a vitamin supplement be useful for hearing benefit.
   Reminds me of Serc or Ginkgo as providing increased blood flow to the middle ear.
   Controversial...And Serc has not been approved by the US FDA.
   Sometimes these things work because a person believes they are helping, so, with that in mind, I guess a placebo effect is a 'real effect' under certain circumstances.

NF-2er

mema

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 04:01:03 pm »
Joe,                                                                                                                                                                                       

I take vitiamin B-12 and folic acid.  I don't think I take it for my hearing loss, but for the benefits it has on the brain.                               

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

lori78

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 01:55:34 pm »
I was told that B vitamins are linked to my temporary paralysis...
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07