Author Topic: Fullness in good ear after radiosurgery?  (Read 2739 times)

Betsy

Fullness in good ear after radiosurgery?
« on: August 28, 2007, 12:08:20 pm »
Hello,

I'm six days post-radiosurgery and some odd things are happening.  First, the area around my right eye became very swollen (my AN is on the left side).  After three days of motrin and ice, it's starting to go down.  Also my right ear now has that feeling of "fullness" that folks talk about....that's one of the symptoms I didn't have in my AN ear.  I'm also sleeping 16-18 hours a day, but after months of insomnia that's a welcome side effect!

My radiation doc thinks the eye swelling is probably due to trauma from the headframe (it had to be taken off, adjusted and put back on so there was a little more trauma than normal).  And I'm seeing my regular doc tomorrow to check out my good ear to be sure I didn't pick up a bug or something.

Has anyone else experienced fullness in their good ear after radiosurgery?

Betsy

15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Fullness in good ear after radiosurgery?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 06:00:14 pm »
Has anyone else experienced fullness in their good ear after radiosurgery?

Betsy

Yes!!!  At about the same time frame you're in, though I had translab surgery.

I had a noticeable decrease in hearing on my non-AN side and fluid build-up around the eye on my non-AN side.  For me, the doctors attributed both to fluid build-up from the surgical swelling settling on the non-AN side because that was the side that was down when I was lying down so much.  The eye swelling went away in a few days, and the hearing in my good ear came back to normal within a few weeks.

I'd imagine the you could have the same swelling and fluid retention issues with radiosurgery.

It's good that you're following up with your doctors, but I wanted you to know I had a similar experience.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 06:02:49 pm »
Hi, hope you're feeling better.

This is a little off-topic, but I've had ongoing fullness in my good ear both before and after radiosurgery.  I have allergies and apparently some TMJ problems to complicate things.  Have had a few different ENT's tell me my good ear is healthy, but it clicks all day long and always feels like it's on the verge of popping.  Advil or meclizine usually makes it more tolerable, but no pop.

I did get a face and neck massage (recommended by my family dr.) the week before my radiosurgery and got a really good pop a couple of days later.  Unfortunately the fullness was back the next day.  The therapist told me the massage stimulates lymph drainage and reduces congestion.  I'm normally skeptical of stuff like this, but I plan to go back and give it another shot.
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

debora

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 07:56:31 pm »
Betsy,
I didn't have the fullness in my good ear but had swelling in both sides of my eyes after radiosurgery.    My Doctors told me not to lay flat on my back or side but to slep in a recliner for about 4 or 5 days.  I tried to sleep in my bed a little early and had a hard time opening my eyes the next day, the swelling was pretty freakish looking and scared me.  It goes away but looks funny.  Hope all is normal now but if not try it for a few days.

Debora

Windsong

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 08:47:03 pm »
I too had swelling of my right eyelid and brow during  fsr and my driver even commented on how my ckeekbones weren't that notceable anymore lol....

I found sleeping flat around the two month post rad time also caused some funny face/eye area swelling.

Fullness in the non An ear also happened a few months later, lost some hearing too there, and the fullness comes and goes since then  in the non An ear and sometimes is really no fun... ???
W.