Author Topic: D-I-Y congnitive exercises  (Read 3895 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
D-I-Y congnitive exercises
« on: December 29, 2006, 09:39:03 pm »
Ok, folks... here's one for you.....

My dear, loving, exceptionally intelligent (blah blah blah) cheeky bloke LOVES to play Sudoku (one of those numbers games that you use logic and numbers to work puzzles).  Usually comes in a book, like word search and crossword puzzles.....so, me being of short memory and seems to also be suffering with attention/focus issues, I figured on my flight back from the UK, I would try it out.  At the airport in London, I picked up a small Sudoku puzzle book to do on the flight home. 

I have to admit, I am now hooked... have caught on how to do the puzzles... BUT... the part that amazes me is that ... at first, my focus was not as much there (as my life prior to my AN).  I've now been doing Sudoku each night before bed and it seems my focus/concentration is a hint bit better.......

So, question to you all.... are their any "mind" exercises (ie: crossword or other puzzles, reading, etc) that you all are doing to help with your cognitive/focus/attention?

Thanks for sharing!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Palace

• Palace
Re: D-I-Y congnitive exercises
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 09:46:22 pm »
 :)

Good Evening:

Richard brought this home, recently; Mammoth (2nd  and NEW) Book of Seek-A-Word!  Over 500 challenging, pencil-pleasing SEEK-A-WORD of every type and every level. (Richard Manachester) 

I haven't tried it yet but, looked at it.

Take care,

Palace
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 10:00:39 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Static

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 11:01:47 pm »
I had been doing seek n find puzzles when I was in the hospital and after I got home.  My PT at the time said it would probably help me.  Also, since I do enjoy the quiet more now, I do more reading and found that helps me also. Sometimes I just can't focus though so it doesn't always work, but it has been a help.  One thing I would like to be better at is the walking and looking up thing.  I can't walk and look up at something without losing my balance.  No more relaxing walks for me, I really have to concentrate, or at least feel like I do, or I lose my balance. 
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 11:15:21 pm »
I play Spider Solitaire, fast.  I never give up on a game.  Sometimes I will restart the same game and go back through to see if I can beat it.  I don't worry about the score, just the fast sequencing.

I do math by hand (not using a calculator). 

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 07:41:15 am »
I was given a Sudoku book by a friend to help keep me occupied during my recovery this fall, and I also got hooked.  I think I'm on my 5th book right now!   ;D

I've always enjoyed puzzles and logic problems.  And there's lots of research to back up the idea that doing such things helps keep your mental accuity sharp.  At least, that's my excuse to keep buying word seek and sudoku books!  LOL!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 10:01:39 am »
Katie, you and I are in trouble! :D

Karen, here's hoping the balance improves... walking outside on slow strolls help me, unless Beanie is with me... she pulls me in every direction, which forces me to pull against her and maintain my balance... she is definate PT for me re: my balance.  Will loan her out if you want :)

So, mind exercises help?  Certainly can't hurt.......

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 10:24:26 am »
Been doing sudoku for ages, got Brian the Mensa version for Christmas...he's ripping right through it.  What's helped me is my best friend (who's husband is the manager of a game store) got me a Nintendo DS and the games "Big Brain University" and "Brain Age".  I play the first one all the time...it's really great as there's a whole practice area where I can work on all kinds of things.  It's been great.  Brian got me 2 more games for Christmas, but haven't had a chance to get on them yet...they're brain training, gamma wave and beta wave, one for memory and one for concentration.  So there's a lot out there if you look!!!!!!! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

matti

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 11:43:56 am »
Hey sweetie Phyl  :-*- Since surgery I have been doing crossword puzzles, word search and the jumble. I have found that they do help with concentration/focus and the crossword puzzles are great for memory trigger. I force myself to complete one crossword puzzle a night, sometimes I tend to lose focus, but I won't let myself quit.

I also have a problem with eye/hand coordination and of course balance, and I find that using my son's Playstation has helped some in those areas.

When my grandmother was in a rest home a few years ago, all residents were highly encouraged to work on puzzles of any kind to help keep the brain stimulated.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

lmurray69

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 06:56:11 pm »
[. 
~Karen , Hi this is Linda, and i do the same thing walking.I am falling on a regular bases now..Hard to concentrate, but I am at it.. I forget what i am doing. The puzzle seek a word, I have to put my finger on the word I am looking for or i am not doing the puzzle..strange isnt it..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

yoga52smh

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 08:39:18 pm »
I enjoy the sudoku puzzles also. The site I have is an on-line site/www.miniclip.com/games/sudoku/en/ . Of course I don't know if you can get to it from here but that is what is in the url space?

I am also hooked on spider solitaire, but my percentage stinks, I give up too soon.  After seeing my in-laws statistics (their 81 years old and 89 years old !) at 19% and mine at 5% I knew I was doing something wrong, giving up too soon. Anyway, I do enjoy it, and will try to stick to if, but if I'm tired forget it. My percentage is at the mercy of my concentration, which has a direct correlation to the amount of sleep and energy I have. You fellow AN'er know how that goes. Love you all,

Sue

PS, my percentage is now 8%! Thats a start! 

Static

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 08:54:12 pm »
My daughter told me about a game online and I'm hooked.  It's called text twist.  I used to be really good at word jumble puzzles and have found that I'm not as good as I used to be and some days I do better than others.  The link is posted below if anyone might want to try it!

http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/texttwist.jsp#None

3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 09:57:41 pm »
Karen I can't believe how big the puppy is now!  WOW!
I haven't had the patience for soduku but have been reading a lot and doing crossword and word finds. Also playing spider solitaire and yahtzee.  My add score was lower this time so it must be working!