Author Topic: Two weeks post-op - Mine was 4cm  (Read 4312 times)

Kate in Raleigh

Two weeks post-op - Mine was 4cm
« on: October 22, 2015, 03:35:25 pm »
I had surgery here at Duke Raleigh with Doctors Cunningham and Fukushima.  We're lucky to live so near these great doctors.  At any rate, mine was 4 cm and by the time they found it, they suspected it had been there at least 15 years. My only symptom was gradual hearing loss.  Surgery was about eight hours and they also implanted the first part of my BAHA aid.  Everything went fine and there were no complications.  They were able to get 95% of it, leaving some so they did not disturb my facial nerve.  I came home after five days and didn't have much trouble with my balance. Only needed a walker the first couple of days.  They think I've compensated over the years as far as handling balance on the left side instead of the right.   I'm getting stronger every day.  I have the ringing in the ears, but am learning to tune it out.  The TV does seem to bother my eyes a bit.  Has anyone else had this?  It's like the picture is not steady - a little jumpy or something.  Not terrible, but i notice it.   My eyes are fine with reading up close - the phone/computer/ipad etc. and I can read the clock and things that are still from a normal distance across the room.  All in all, I think I'm doing pretty well and glad to have surgery behind me.  Also, I would add that Dr. Fukushima is quite a character and I've enjoyed getting to know him. He sent over a signed copy of his book and comic book after my surgery and I've been watching his reality show on Youtube.  It's all Japanese, but I get the general idea.

PaulW

Re: Two weeks post-op - Mine was 4cm
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 09:10:29 pm »
Wow that is excellent.
Great to hear that you are doing well after having such a large tumour removed... Awesome...

Unfortunately there is a little known reflex called the Vestibular Occular Reflex. Its like Gyroscopic Guidance for your eyes
With the tumour removed you have effectively lost 1 of your two Gyroscopes.
Over the next few months you will learn to cope with one Gyroscope instead of two and things will jump a lot less.
It does take time, but it will get better and before long you want even notice anything
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

ANGuy

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 02:56:24 pm »
Thanks for following up with your great Duke experience.  In the likely event that I get treatment, it will be at Duke as the people I have been dealing with are at Duke Durham.  Go Blue Devils!!
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Kate in Raleigh

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 04:48:47 pm »
Yes I work for NC State but have quickly become a huge Duke fan!   Forgot to mention above, but I'm age 46 myself. 

ANGuy

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 02:51:25 pm »
Yes I work for NC State but have quickly become a huge Duke fan!   Forgot to mention above, but I'm age 46 myself.

Do you quickly hide all of your Duke swag when you have co-workers come over ?  I can just picture you stuffing everything in the hamper and hoping they don't peek inside it while in the bathroom...
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Kate in Raleigh

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 09:06:40 am »
I started back at work part time this past week, which was 3 weeks after surgery.  Luckily I have a desk job and a flexible, understanding boss. I will try driving this week and see how it goes.  I think I'll be fine.  The ringing in both ears is still there but I've just gotten used to it and don't notice it unless I think about it.  My eyes have adjusted now and watching TV doesn't bother them anymore.  So I'm doing great and feel lucky, considering how large mine was.   Just wanted to give a quick update.