Author Topic: Not AN related but just had to post  (Read 2853 times)

Ellenmn

Not AN related but just had to post
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:42:41 pm »
As you know I have been going to Dr Battista  for my AN and recovery. Well my husbands hearing in his right has been bad for years and now it's getting worse in his left ear so I convinced him to go to the Ear institute and get his hearing tested. Well they confirmed that that both ears are bad. They also suggested he talk to Dr Battista about his right ear because of his Lighting damage. Dr Batista confirmed that when he got hit by lighting it blew out his ear drum.  The thing that surprised us both is he was told they can give him a new ear drum and while they are in there check for any other repairable damage.

He will finally hear again in his right ear. He will still probably need some kind of hearing aids down the road but much less invasive ones.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: Not AN related but just had to post
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:00:52 pm »
While you are there, ask him if your husband can be fitted with Baha if his eardrum cannot be repaired.  Nice to know someone else who goes to Ear Institute.  I don't have AN but I have Treacher's Collins Syndrome and I wear a  bilateral BAHAs. There is another member who goes to Dr. Battista. Her name is Jan and she goes by the name; leapyrtwins.  I'm sure she'll chime in here soon.   I had both Richard and Mark Wiet as my surgeons.  

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:08:26 pm by Kencutus »
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:03:12 pm »
Wow Ellen!  

That is amazing.  Not only being struck by lightning and living to tell about it, but finding out that things can be repaired!  Good news!

I've heard good things about Dr. Battista so I know your husband is in good hands.  Let us know how it goes.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:13:19 pm »
Dr. Battista is one of the best  ;D  and I'm glad to hear he can help your husband.

I recently sent someone to him for a Cochlear Implant and she's another extremely happy patient!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:45:06 pm »
Great news!!!
Another positive outcome that came from AN treatment...
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Ellenmn

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 07:55:54 am »
Well my husband had surgery on Thursday. Dr. Battista said it went very well. It took about an hour and a half because the eardrum was completely gone.
They gave him a new eardrum and then put self dissolving sponges on both sides to give it time to heal.  It will be 3 to 4 months before we know how much hearing he will gain, but Dr. Battista feels he should get some good results.
Thursday he had lots of pain and now he has some pain but what bothers him more than his ear is his jaw. Dr Battista warned us about that because he had to do so much repair work.
I will tell you one thing he doesn't have the same pain tolerance that I do, but he has taken care of me through so much I can put up with his needing tender care and trying to find what will make him comfortable.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 02:13:43 pm »
Ellenmn ~

Congratulations on your husband's successful surgery.  I'm sure he appreciates your help.  When my wife 'nursed' me immediately after my AN surgery, I was very grateful for her help, her advocacy and her company while I was hospitalized (and later, at home).  I'm sure your husband feels the same way about you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 02:38:20 pm »
its amazing what they can do now
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 08:29:52 pm »
Ellen -

sorry to hear about your husband's pain, but glad to hear that his surgery is over and that he has a good prognosis.

Medicine today is just incredible.  Before my AN surgery - and becoming SSD - I had no idea all the amazing things they can do to help those with hearing loss.

Hope your husband has a swift recovery and that his pain subsides quickly.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways