Author Topic: postie going toastie? failed ck, now surgery.  (Read 5283 times)

mellowrama

postie going toastie? failed ck, now surgery.
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:10:50 pm »
Not sure of the "terminology"   I was a postie already... I think. :D

After much deliberation I'm scheduled late Aug. for translab at House with Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan.   The Dr's there have been great about calling me directly and spending time to discuss everything.  Now that I'm scheduled and the decisions are made, I can jump out of freak out mode and look forward to recovery! 

Question regarding caregivers/guests;  my partner will be there with me, and family members have offered to fly in...it is better to have guests/family during surgery or a day or so after?  Just thinking that I might need the rest immediately after...maybe day 2? 

Also, just some info...Dr. Friedman did say that he can do something special to help prevent the incision from getting a keloid scar (I have a predisposition for this type of scaring), by an injection or type of stitching.

Thanks so much to everyone for their postings and feedback, it has been crucial for me in making decisions - I cannot imagine how difficult it would be without this forum!
Melinda

22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

cindyj

Re: postie going toastie? failed ck, now surgery.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 07:45:00 am »
Hi, Melinda!  I had surgery w/ Dr. Friedman in Nov - am doing very well...I had my husband and mother fly out there.  Didn't actually speak to them til probably day 2 or 3 - I would not have been up for any other visitors.  Everyone's recovery is different, though.  We've had some folks here that have had visitors while they were still in ICU and had a big time!  I was a bit nauseous and not up for talking or even looking at anyone. 

You will need someone with you during the week after you get out of the hospital while you're still out there - whether you stay at Seton House or a local hotel.  I sent you a PM with my #, if you'd like to call me - I'd be happy to chat with you about the LA experience!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:56:45 am »
Not sure of the "terminology"   I was a postie already... I think. :D

Melinda ~ 

'Postie' refers to a post-surgical AN patient, 'toastie' refers to a post-radiation patient.  In your case, you're a 'toastie-postie':)

As Cindy correctly stated, everyone's recovery is a bit different.  The first few days after surgery are often spent sleeping (I did) and company is not always appreciated.  However, some AN surgery patients are raring to go within hours of leaving the OR and have lots of company, phone calls, etc while still in ICU.  Frankly, I think those folks are the exception.  I concur with your idea that Day 2 might be the better time for family and friends to visit, and that you may not be all that sociable so soon after the surgery, which is definitely traumatic to your body.  Just warn them that you'll probably be wearing a head-wrap bandage (not exceptionally attractive) and may not be up to a long, noisy visit.  However, without any complications, each day post-op, even in the hospital, should find you feeling better, stronger and more 'yourself'.  Having your partner with you on surgery day is important.  As Cindy indicated, you'll definitely need your partner with you after discharge.  Again, some post-surgical patients bounce right back, others take a bit longer.  You never know until you're there.  I was in good physical condition at the time of my surgery but wasn't 'with it' for the first few days.  By Day 5, I was anxious to leave and felt fine (albeit a bit wobbly).  We always suggest letting your body guide you as you recuperate.  You'll do fine, I'm sure. 

Good news from Dr. Friedman about minimizing the incision scar!  If you wish, you can add your surgery date to our 'AN Treatment Calendar" http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments  Now, try to focus on getting past this and, as you stated, looking forward to recovery!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:27:41 am »

Yes Yes Yes !! have friends and family there!!

ps... I slept 23 hours a day! post op .. just let them know you will be sleeping a lot ... and the Roids/meds can make you "grumpy"
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

mellowrama

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 01:04:45 pm »
Ok , on my way to becoming a toastie postie!

I've very much welcomed my vistors and given them fair warning.   ;)
thanks! melinda
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:13:46 am »
Something interesting you mention in this thread Melinda,  your predisposition to keloid scaring.  I was just reading about this the other day and made me wonder if when an MRI shows more growth, like with both of us, but me, after surgery, and you after CK.  SInce both can cause scaring.  I wonder if what they are seeing is keloid scar rather than actual tumor growth? hmmmmmmm
patti
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

mellowrama

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 11:06:47 pm »
Hi Patti,

I got your info on your regrowth,etc...I'm sorry to hear about your troubles!  Did the doctors leave a portion of the tumor on a nerve? 

Regarding keloids, I kinda wonder if somehow it could be related as the cell don't seem to know when to stop growning...but the keoids I think are always related to skin tissue...would be interesting though if the had me in surgery for a scar!
thanks, melinda

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 05:33:57 am »
Melinda,

I know I am late chiming in.. .and when I read this, my heart sank.  You KNOW I'm cheering you on and sending hugglez your way.  You are a "toastie" (radiation) postie and let's just get the sucker done.

Will be looking for updates and you know I'm thinking of you.

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mellowrama

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:25 pm »
thanks phyl!

One of my good friends is set on calling me a "fat head" after its all done :D  It makes me laugh...pop tart, postie toastie, toastie postie...ok, fat head.
...I'll keep the up the updates..
melinda

26esperanza

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 10:36:45 pm »
I had surgery on December 2008 with the same doctors, they are great!! Everything will be ok!!
AN 3.5cm completely removed December 9, 2008. CFS leakage, 2nd surgery neded, performed in December 17, 2008. Total left side hearing loss, and temporary facial paralisis. Tonge grasp needed to fix facial nerve which was cut during surgery.

another NY postie

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 06:11:19 am »
I am so sorry you have to go round two with this.  Just wanted to wish you luck in your surgery.  I too am headed for house a month later and so many people have written such wonderful things about them - you are in good hands!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'