Author Topic: tylenol before sugery ok?  (Read 3685 times)

mellowrama

tylenol before sugery ok?
« on: August 14, 2009, 11:37:08 pm »
Just got my packet for surgery soon, and there is a LOT that I cannot take for 2 weeks prior.  Need something for headaches, etc.  I don't see Tylenol on the list, but I'm unsure...does anyone know if you can take it or something else?  I read that it is not a blood thinner...

thanks, m
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

cindyj

Re: tylenol before sugery ok?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:58:17 am »
My understanding has always been that Tylenol is ok...just no Advil type stuff...someone correct me if I'm wrong.  I was told prior to one of my surgeries to just beef up my caffeine in-take - was glad to eat extra chocolate!

How you doing otherwise?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:48:58 pm »
M ~

I agree with Cindy that because Tylenol doesn't have a blood-thinning effect, its O.K. to have it in your system, pre-op.  To be sure, I would call your doctor's office and ask specifically, about taking Tylenol.  That way, you won't risk doing something that might cause a problem during your surgery or even force the surgery to be postponed because you inadvertently took an OTC medication that could compromise your body's ability to coagulate your blood. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mellowrama

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 02:42:34 am »
Thanks, I wish I had some now!  The weekend has been rough and I'm ready for something, didn't realize I was using meds until I could'nt take it.  I've heard tylenol is hard on the liver, but I guess ok in moderation.

The countdown to surgery is rougher than I thought it would be, I think I''ll focus on more chocolate thanks to cindy.

I'll call in the morning to confirm with the docs it ok,
thanks for all your feedback, m
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 05:22:24 am »
Wow...I was only told not to take advil or asperin . I had no list. Now I'm starting to wonder about  my surgical team and the hospital...I was given a pamphlet on what not to bring to hospital. And the surgical scrub I had to have.  that was it.  After surgery I was only given reg tylenol every 4 hours and gravol.and the steroids...(and of course med for being non active). then I read on here, how some of you are on steroids for a week or more after disgcharge and on prescribe pain meds.  It just blows my mind away..
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

mellowrama

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 11:38:16 pm »
I got the "OK" for Tylenol, as it is not a blood thiner.
thanks,m