Author Topic: I was dizzy and fell yesterday  (Read 3890 times)

Mei Mei

I was dizzy and fell yesterday
« on: March 22, 2010, 07:48:21 am »
I thought I was doing fine in recovery.   I went to a church Easter bread making workshop and was there for three hours and was leaving...a little dizzy.   Got home and fell badly at the front door scraping my knee and banging my forehead on the wall of the house.   I banged on the front door and my father's aide came outside and helped me up because I couldn't manage by myself.   I took some Motrin for the shaken up head and lay down on the sofa, then felt fine.

Is this what everyone is talking about as the Wonky head?      I  really have to be careful.  I wasn't expecting that to happen at all.   It just happened all so suddenly.   

How long does it take to get back your balance after surgery ?

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

sues1953

Re: I was dizzy and fell yesterday
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:59:01 am »
HI Mei Mei,

Sorry to hear about your fall  :( I'm glad your OK.  I think maybe you over did it, a three hour workshop is a long time, although it sure sounds like it was fun  ;D.  I am still pre opp but if I have learned anything it's that we all are different and heal at different speeds.  I have an uneasy feeling on steps so I try to hold on to something if possible.  Please be careful.

Sending healing vibes your way.

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

cin605

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 11:13:19 am »
Sorry to hear about your fall.
I had a couple of spills since my surgery in 6/08.....everyone recoups thier balance at different rates.....yes this is part of the wonky head club......weebles.wobble and some times fall down.
Probly a sign that you over extended your self.
The work shop at the church,i can imagine was kind of noisey w/ alot of movement and action going on...this is the kind of thing that you may notice tires you out becouse it uses all of your senses at once....sight,hearing,balance,touch maybe not smell so much although i have days where the littlest aroma will make me sick to my stomach....simple things i will be able to tolerate one day and not the next.Its called sensory overload.
Please be carefull....do not push yourself too much,at the same time push a little.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 11:18:47 am »
Mei Mei .....

So sorry you fell.  As the others have said, the combination of sensory overload and fatigue most likely caused the wonkyhead.  Many of us have learned the hard way that those two things are a bad combination.  Even though I compensate very well most of the time, I still have the wonkyhead when I stand up and walk quickly or turn directions quickly without giving myself time to re-orient.

Be careful.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mei Mei

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 12:35:40 pm »
Thanks Everybody for the healing wishes.   I've always been wondering what you've been talking about the Wonky head and now I know.   When I turn around suddenly, I, too get a slight spinning sensation and got it again yesterday.   Am getting it again now which is why I am going down for a nap.  Talk to you all later, fellow Wonky heads!!!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

sunfish

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:09:32 am »
I completed Cyberknife last week.  I can't imagine what you folks may experience post-surgery.  I've had the "wonky head" thing (that's actually how I got the MRI and diagnosis) pre- and post-treatment (albeit recent).  ESPECIALLY at night. ESPECIALLY going from one lighting condition into another (light hallway into dark stairwell).  I've realized over the past couple nights that I need to be very careful when I get up in the dark, even though I'm fairly athletic.  I'm confident my balance system will gradually compensate (it did after initial vertigo problems in January, took about a month).  Weird feeling!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC