Author Topic: I know all of you are tired of reading the same question...  (Read 6567 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: I know all of you are tired of reading the same question...
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 01:37:17 pm »
*runs in... give Mary BIGGGGGGGGG HUGGLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, blows smoochie, runs back out* :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Linda T.

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 12:42:05 pm »
Debora, why would you never do the Novalis again? Curious as to what happened to you, I was considering this option.................

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 07:31:34 pm »
I am leaning toward CK and plan to have it done here within the next couple months. There is really no difference between CK & GK other than the head placement thing. CK is just a newer version to my understanding.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

debora

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 11:17:52 pm »
Linda,   I sent you an email, let me know if you haven't received it.   Deb

sgerrard

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 09:52:46 am »
I am leaning toward CK and plan to have it done here within the next couple months. There is really no difference between CK & GK other than the head placement thing. CK is just a newer version to my understanding.

Yes, CK = GK for the most part. It does add more flexible beam positioning, and the ability to easily split a treatment into 3 or 5 sessions. There is some evidence that splitting up the treatment reduces hearing loss. I hope it goes well for you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

tdworkin

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 07:14:53 pm »
Hi Pascale,
FYI, I am someone who gets those stabs of pain, too. They are like jolts of searing hot knives , last only for moments, sometimes several jabs in a row, then they vanish. No one knows... Mine are usually in the front of my AN ear- about my top of my jaw. I cringe and jump everytime. They are fast. One time, I rocketed out of a deep sleep. These all happened before my cyberknife treatments, started increasing in the last few months,  and I have had a couple since.
As for CK=GK. NO WAY. The procedures are not the same- one is relaxing enough that you could sleep through it, the other screws pins into your head so you have to wear a big heavy metal frame. One uses mega X rays to do the irradiating, the other iuses a radioactive isotope of cobalt.  Do some serious research before deciding. I had 4 neurosurgeons read my MRI and audiogram and each gave me a different recommendation for treatment. You have to decide what's right for you. I opted for CK and although there is a new cyberknife center right here in Philadelphia (1 hr. from me), my husband and I chose to fly across the country to have Drs. Chang and Hancock and their expert team handle my case. I wanted experience... and Stanford University Medical Center had it in spades.
Radiation is radiation but there are different ways for it to be delivered. GK is fast- one day- lots of radiation in one treatment. CK is several days- usually 3 to 5- with a smaller dose delivered each day. F.S.R can be 25-30 days of fast zaps, real small doses. I don't know about the Novalis (sp?) but the Trilogy machine/procedure resembles cyberknife.
There is a TON of information out there (go watch the Trilogy in Connecticut webcast for a full explanation of that one- or U of VA's gamma knife procedure, or Stanford's CK.) You must be your own best advocate. Hang in there!
Wishing you good health,
Terry

Lorenzo

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 08:13:10 am »
Ok, back on here after a jet lag recovery from coming over to California.

Pascale, that slight disconnection with reality, not knowing for a moment what and where, a sense of having to reboot the system, slow brain in the mornings, all sounds familiar to me! Gets better with time though, thankfully.
As for me headaches, only when the weather changes or if I'm really tired!

All the best, Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.