Author Topic: What eye drops shoud I use?  (Read 2741 times)

nipanddale

What eye drops shoud I use?
« on: July 31, 2006, 08:00:55 am »
Hey all-
I've been recovering for about a month now. I'm feeling pretty good; I almost look sober when I walk! My smile is still shaped like a triangle, and the surgery side of my face still feels "dead".

I'll get to the point:  the eye on my surgery side still dries out a lot. Norma thought it best to continue using the Refresh brand drops they gave us st St. Vincents, but I don't want to pay $15 a box, only to run out in two or three days. (I suspect when you buy the single doses you're paying for the plastic thingies, not the drops.)

I bought a bottle of the Refresh tears and gel stuff last night, but they seem to work less effectively. I put them in, and I'm fine for about an hour, but I feel like I have to apply them much more frequently.

P.S.: How long until I can sleep on my surgery side? I don't sleep on my back, and my other side is getting sore.

P.P.S.: How the heck do you change the photo on your postings?

Health and happiness to all!

Dale
3.5cm Diagnosed June 2006 - Removed June 28, 2006
House Ear Clinic - Los Angeles, CA
Surgical Doctors: Brackmann, Hitselberger, Kutz, and Stefan
CFS Leak Doctor: Friedman
Follow-up Doctor: Cullen

Entire tumor removed
Facial nerve intact

Today is a good day!

DeniseSmith

Re: What eye drops shoud I use?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:44:52 am »
Dale,

I use Systane, however, its not cheap either.  I don't buy the individual vials, because they seem to go too fast.  I do find as I get further out from my initial surgery I am using them less and less.  My eye waters on its own from time to time, to that my budget for eye drops has dropped considerably.  Also, when I go to the eye dr. we ask for sample and they always give me a bunch of bottles.  You might try that when you are at the eye dr.

Denise 8)

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 10:14:15 am »
You can use what ever brand you want and it does sometimes take experimenting to see what works best for you.    The Refresh tears probably aren't the thing if you have pretty dry eye but I do use the Refresh liquigel and like it.     I use the bottle version and have multiple bottles as have to carry one in my pocket at work and always have some in my purse.   Target doesn't seem to be carrying the smaller bottle now but Walmart still does.                 I tried the Genteal version of the liquigel type and it doesn't work at all for me.              I had my facial nerve severed and a nerve graft put in so dry eye may always be in my future.   
     Good luck in your continued recovery.                         Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

amymeri

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:59:53 am »
I use plain saline in indidual vials (you can get 100 3mL vials for $20 at the pharmacy and it lasts for a couple months because I use a vial a day).  At night or whenever I tape my eye because it is feeling so irritated I use Lacrilube or GenTeal Gel (in a tube) which is a big relief.

Don't use anything with a preservative.

You can go to bellspalsy.ws for lots of good information about facial paralysis and eye care.  For me the eye care has been the hardest and most time consuming part of this.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Raydean

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:47:06 pm »
I've been using eye drops for about 9 years now.  I've tried them all.  You gotta try Long Lasting Tears Naturale Forte Lubicant eye dropss  by Alcon, the same people that make Systane.  Price is pretty good.  under $9.00 a bottle. But what I like is it keeps the eye moister for longer periods of time then other products, without the big oily feeling.  I wake up with little or none of that gunky eye stuff in the AM, nor is my vision blurred when I use it..  I give this product a thumbs up.

As mentioned in another posting, hit your Doctor up for samples.  This way you can try different types plus it's nice to have an extra something around, or in glove box as a "just in case".

Best to all
Chet
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.