Author Topic: My GK Consultation ...  (Read 2955 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
My GK Consultation ...
« on: May 29, 2007, 08:44:35 am »
So, on Friday I had my GK consult with the Radiation Oncologist, Dr. Inga Grills at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, MI.

Dr. Grills was very nice and insightful. It's nice to see a younger female Doctor after all of the grizzled, veteran, male Neurosurgeons I've been with for the past 3 years. She explained the procedure to me, answered my questions and then I met with a nurse who asked the long list of health questions "ever had lepracy?"

After that, I had some bloodwork done and I was outta there. We scheduled my GK treatment for 7/17/07. Here's to hoping that I'll finally be done after this treatment.

I caught part of a movie this weekend that summed up how I feel. I'm sure you've seen the movie PLATOON. It's based in Vietnam and at one point a helicopter lands to evacuate the ground soldiers. As they load the helicopter they realize they're missing one guy. He comes running out of the bush while being shot at. The helicopter is in site and all he wants to do is get to it. As he's running, he's shot in the back and goes down. He looks up, see's the helicopter and gets up ... starts to run again ... takes another bullet. He goes down, stands up, and continues to the helicopter, refusing to stop. He get's hit again. He's losing consciousness, but he just won't stop running.

It's a weird analogy, and it's not like I'm taking bullets literally, but that's what I feel like. Everytime I get back on my feet. BAM, I'm knocked back down.

I'm gonna get to that freaking helicopter dammit.

Sorry, that was very random. Anyway, I can now post in both the microsurgery and radiosurgery threads   :-\

Oh, and after reading some of the materials once I got home, It said that common side effects with GK include hair-loss? Is that correct? I thought it was Chemo that took your hair?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: My GK Consultation ...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 09:06:36 am »
Scott,

I am in awe of you... and a terrific analogy. I'm thrilled that you are comfortable with this new dr and glad you have faith in the team... that is great news.

I tend to think of us as the chid's toy... the Weeble.... you may remember the ad.... "weebles wabble but they don't fall down"... I think of myself as a weeble, as you can make me teeter to one side and another with all that life has dished to me medically, but dang it, (like you), I refuse to be knocked down.

Hair loss is generally minimal with radio-treatments.  there may be a small amt lost in the area of beam target.  Some experience it, some don't...... there is another thread here (of recent) that discusses/asks about hairloss from FSR treatment and many are chiming in.  Just a thought.

Hang in there.... and that helicopter is in reach! Go for it! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

FlyersFan68

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 10:30:42 am »
Good Luck Scott! I know your handling your business. Now it's time for the tumor to take some bullets. I'm sure you'll do fine. I hope your site is doing well. For those who are new or unaware come sign up on Scottie's relatively new web-site. 
http://www.patient-network.com/
Good Luck Stay Strong!

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:47:50 am »
Thanks, I guess it is time for the tumor to take some bullets huh? I wish I was the one pulling the trigger   :)

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 07:13:59 pm »
Oh buddy, you are one of the few who is an expert in both surgery and radiation( or about to be)... HMM I need to see the movie but then I am a whimp on violence even though I can watch CSI while eating dinner... go figure.. :P

This in particular has been a long hard journey- know that all of us here are ready to be your back up as needed.. and yeah, there are days I want to be in charge to! 

Take care, good luck- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 10:24:08 am »
Thanks Annie.