Author Topic: Now it's my turn!  (Read 10323 times)

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
Now it's my turn!
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:35:52 am »
Hi everyone,
Now it's my turn for surgery!  :o I got the message from the coordinator today and on Wednesday 20th May they're going to take out my AN. It will be the retrosigmoid approach. I'm so scared althought this is what I hoped for. I hope everything will be alright and that I wake up after surgery and I also wish that I could return to my work as a teacher at 10th August to meet a new class.

Please, think about me on 20th and send some prayers too.  :(

Best wishes from Sweden and Helene
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

Kaybo

Re: Now it's my turn!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:47:06 am »
Helene~
WOW!  That is pretty soon - I guess things work differently over there!  Did you put your date on the calendar?  When I had surgery, I taught 1st Grade - I had a stroke and quite a few complications - which I know you won't! - and I was back at work in 3 months so I bet you'll be able to make the August date! 
You will be in my prayers - I know it will all go well!

K ;)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:57:38 pm »
Thanks K for your support! You're always so positive and a wonderful person. What would all of us do without you? I hope you're right about the August date and a good outcome.  :) My dear hubby Mats will be reporting on the forum, maybe on my profile or otherwise he starts his own. I'll see if I can manage to put the date in the calendar.

Hugs from Helene,
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:18:27 pm »
Helene:

Congratulations on your surgery date.  I had the 'Retrosigmoid approach' AN surgery almost 3 years ago and came through just fine, as I trust you will, too. 

I put your surgery date on the AN Treatment Calendar.  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d20/05/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B.

Rest assured that my prayers and those of many others will be said on your behalf in the days to come.  Especially on May 20th.  :)  Rest up and remain positive.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 06:02:15 pm »
Helene,  You have my teacher hugs and prayers from Iowa.  I had a Translab with a 3 cm tumor.  I was back in the classroom in 3 months.  It was a challenge for me as I tend to work 10-12 hour days.  That didn't work at first.  I worked 4 days a week for a while until I had the energy to do all 5 days.  Everyone knows that teachers are tough and tend to expect a lot from themselves.  That's because we can, and we know it.  So I have all the faith in the world in you and your ability to be ready on opening day.  The kids are counting on you.  You go, Girl.

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

Lilan

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 06:25:49 pm »
Great wishes, Helene!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:02:24 pm »
Lots of educators on this forum:-)  Me too!

I was back to work after 5 weeks, so keeping my fingers crossed for August 10.

Where are you having your surgery in Sweden?

All the best,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

gordy

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:46:16 pm »
best wishes on a great outcome.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 10:10:40 pm »
Helene -

they sure don't believe in giving you much notice do they? 

Regardless, I'm confident you'll do fine with the surgery.  I had retrosigmoid also  ;D

Like, Kay, I firmly believe you'll be back to school in August to meet your new class.

I'm so glad your husband will be keeping us updated.  You know how we worry.

Please let him know that in addition to reporting on your surgery, we are also here to support him in any way we can.

Sometimes family members have a harder job on surgery day than we patients do.  At least we get to sleep through the entire procedure  ;)

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 10:47:14 pm »
Hi Helene,

So you got your date. Have to be careful what you hope for! You will wake up after the surgery, and you will return to teaching on August 10th. No telling when you will get your hat, though.

Best wishes,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 03:14:52 am »
Hi Helene,

Just sending my prayers along as well.  You can never have too many of those :).  Best of luck on the 20th, and I bet you're back to school on time!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 06:12:21 am »
Helene,

Sending my best wishes as well. Hope all goes smoothly and you have an easy and full recovery.

;)

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Keri

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 08:05:25 am »
Helene,
Sending along my best wishes and prayers for you as well.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

m4guzman

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 08:31:18 am »
Good luck!  I had surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago.  I am starting to feel a little normal again.  Please pm me if you want to talk.
You will be in my prayers.

Maryebth
1.5cm on left side MRI 2/2/09
Some hearing loss
Thinking about surgery

MissMolly

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 08:54:51 am »
Sending good wishes your way as well.  I know that it will go smoothly and you will keep your happy smile!  Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Miss Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.