Author Topic: Middle Fossa scheduled for Jan. 13th  (Read 7943 times)

Roger64

Re: Middle Fossa scheduled for Jan. 13th
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 08:06:01 pm »
Welcome and Good luck. I had surgery 10/30/08 and I had to use a walker for awhile but a couple of weeks out I was walking around the house without it and about a month later short trip to the store with my wife was ok but I got tire very fast. It just depend on you and if you feel ok to walk without help. Take it easy and don't push it.

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 08:17:15 pm »
Good Luck Connie - you will be in our prayers!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 08:07:12 am »
Connie -

I wanted to wish posted good luck wishes to you under AN Community but wanted to drop in again and wish you good luck with your middle fossa surgery on the 13rh.   You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Keeping Up

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 08:04:11 pm »
Did I miss any updates???? 

Connie - hopefully you are well on your way to getting out of the hospital and home.  I can only imagine that would be one of the first postie victories.

Good luck.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

connie3245

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 07:51:10 pm »
I had my Middle Fossa surgery Jan.,13th am, and came home the afternoon of Jan. 16th.  Dr. Paul Gidley and Dr. Franco DeMonte of MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston performed the surgery.  I was walking without help, and doing the stairs at the hospital with a therapist up and down the 15th.  I start therapy soon to learn how to deal with the balance issues.  I could hear from my AC ear when I was in ICU, but I cannot hear now.  They said that sometimes happens from swelling and some fluid pressure from the surgery.  They are confident that my hearing will return. The pain factor was a small hassle as I reacted badly to hydrocodone (some cool hallucinations while my eyes were closed  8)) and I didn't want morphine after the 2nd day, milder stuff worked quite well and I don't think I'll need much after today.  They removed all of the tumor except for a "razor" thin slice of cells on the facial muscle nerve. That was the plan if it was found to be impossible to avoid facial muscle damage in an effort to remove all of the tumor. It may or may not grow back, if it does, it will probably be slow, and I'll be watching for it.  I can smile, raise my brows, close my eyes and I am so grateful to both of these surgeons.  Now, the haircut they gave me is another story.... :-\  My husband, who stayed with me 24/4, thinks it's cool.  I think he just wants bragging rights for taking such good care of my stitches : ).
I am also so thankful for witnessing the wonderful attitudes of the members here.  I have much admiration for so many who have gone through this (much worse than mine) and still have such a positive outlook and put so much effort into helping others here.  Thanks again.  I will try to do the same.
Diagnosed 10/08 with 15mm X 9mm AC. Middle fossa surgery scheduled for Jan. 13, 2009.

sgerrard

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 08:16:24 pm »
Great news, Connie!

I hope your hearing comes back, but even without it, it sounds like a very good outcome - a smiling patient is always good news. Are you taking anything for the swelling?

Be sure to get lots of rest, and take it gently as you get going again. Let your husband do everything for a while.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 09:05:12 am »
Hey Connie,

Congrats on becoming a postie...and what a postie you are!  Home so quickly and doing well it sounds like!  Do be sure to take naps, many naps; you still need them and you may never have a better excuse to take them ;)

Let us know how things continue with you,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 10:31:29 am »
Way to go Connie!  Glad you're on the other side of this and with minimal complications.  I also couldn't hear a thing immediately after surgery (well, lots of crickets) but once the swelling came down my hearing improved.  It's now the same as it was before surgery. I wish the same for you.
Best,
=Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 10:55:48 am »
Connie -

glad to hear things turned out well for you - it sounds like you are having a great recovery  ;D

Welcome back postie!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 05:14:48 pm »
Hi, Connie:

Welcome to 'postie-land' and congratulations on your successful, complication-free surgery!  I love reading about these kinds of surgical outcomes and I know your experience will be an encouragement for many.  May your recovery be continuing, total and uneventful.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 09:49:59 am »
Hi Connie,
Congratulations on having such a successful surgery.  It sounds like your recovery is off to a good start and I'm sure things will just get better.  Please keep us posted -- we love hearing good news!

Wendy

P.S. Kudos to your husband too for taking such good care of you!
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!