Author Topic: I'm Back!!  (Read 13827 times)

kixit

I'm Back!!
« on: May 28, 2012, 03:51:52 pm »
I must say the first 24 hours were pure hell. The room spun and then the nausea started...for 24 grueling hours. Post op day 1- slept for most part of the day, even if I attempted to open my eyes I would get sick. Post Op days 2 and 3- walked the halls and showered. Appetitite started to return, I only wanted liquids, no sweet drinks--cranberry juice was my friend. Post op day 4, more walking, started to focus a little better on the TV but stll just wanted sleep. Post op day 5-homeward bound. The bandage came off, I was able to actually see what lurked under the bandage all those days. The pain wasn't anything to deal with really but the nausea was absolutely the pits.

My medical care was outstanding and would do it again (only if I had to, lol). I'm still loopey from the meds and will be for a few more days. I'm not back to normal. Far from it, but I do feel..different. Well, I'm off for a nap. Thought I would update everyone.
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: I'm Back!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 03:53:39 pm »
Congratulations, and welcome to the post-treatment side! Rest, walk, be good to yourself.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 04:00:49 pm »
Kix ~

Congratulations on becoming a 'postie'!  Hope your recovery moves briskly.  Thanks for the update.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LizAN

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 04:19:11 pm »
Kixit,

Glad you are back!

Sorry you had such a rough 24 hours, post-op, but you have made it through the worst.  I hope to get continued updates on your progress.

I'm not far behind you.  My surgery is scheduled for July 3rd, at House.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

kixit

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 05:17:59 pm »
I wasn't afraid of having the surgery itself, just being put under for some weird reason. I still have the tinnitis and was told it it will not go away. My surgery site is perfect. Dr Kesser did a great job as hairstylist as well as surgeon. I can't express enough how well I was treated and treatment received at UVA.

I am still in appeals for the BAHA. I was told that will be a long drawn out process.

Thanks to everyone for the concerns and prayers. I don't believe I could have made it through this ordeal without the great information and support. Thank you guys soooo much 8)
Translab 5/24/12

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 06:44:50 pm »
Hi kixit .....

So glad you are post-op and in the recovery phase now!  Believe it or not, the worst is over.  Now it is a matter of being patient as your brain and body adjust to the new inputs.  Remember to walk, rest, rest, walk, rest, rest, walk, etc.  Listen to your body and walk in safe environments as much as you can ..... but this is not a time to be heroic and push yourself beyond your limits.  Take short rests or "power naps" when needed and drink lots of fluids ..... water is good!

Thoughts and prayers continue.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jenichol

• Fear not, for I Am with you - Isaiah 41:10
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 07:12:17 am »
So glad to hear from you.  I am glad to know you received excellent care at UVA.  I'll be there in just a few more weeks.  Our prayers were answered for you.  YEAH!! 

Take care and keep us posted. 

Jan
48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.

lrobie

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 09:57:59 am »
It's nice to hear from you so soon after your surgery.  You sound very positive and upbeat and that's always nice to hear.  Good luck on your road to recovery.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 07:15:25 am »
You are over the worst part. The rest of your recovery is a slow process. Don't try to hurry it along...it will just happen. Sounds like you did very well getting up and walking so soon with all that wonkiness.

James

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 09:07:27 am »
YAY! You did it--welcome to the "other side!" Sorry to hear that those first 24 hours were so rough. Sounds a lot like mine did, but it looks like you're definitely on your way! Good luck as you start the recovery process and I can't wait to hear more updates.  :)
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

kixit

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 08:09:42 pm »
Pain is really not an isssue. I get an ocassional sharp pain in the post AN ear but it's mostly balance. I have to walk with a walker ( my kids tell me I'm a true grandma now, lol). I walk to the corner of my street and and back or to the end of my backyard but thats it, I'm wiped out after that. Only took pain meds once today but slept off  and on all afternoon and evening. I keep my surgeons words in my mind- "it will only get better from here on". Believe me if those words didn't ring true after the first 24 hrs I was going hunting for a surgeon! lol

All and all it hasn't been bad, I really expected more pain wise. The loopyness--it's got to go!! Dr Kesser said it could last 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years depends on the body compensation factor. I wish I could do more but I know it will come with time.   8)
Translab 5/24/12

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 06:54:16 am »
Hi there .....

That's great that pain is not an issue.  I had the same experience ..... the initial pain meds in the hospital, plus the steroids kept the pain well under control ..... it was the loopyness (or wonkyheadedness, we sometimes say on here) that was the most annoying post-op.

I used a walker for a couple of weeks post-op ..... gradually trying walking with a person on each side, then one person on one side, then a cane, and then finally totally on my own.  By a month I was mostly on my own, but I did have regular physical therapy for awhile first, then vestibular rehab for months.  (Reminder:  I have no vestibular function on either side so my situation was quite different.)  It is kind of weird, but even holding the hand of my toddler grandchildren gives me a sense of stability ...... but I always firmly hook my gaze on objects that are not moving when I am walking.

For me fatigue, stress, and too much caffeine still make me very wobbly so I do try to watch all three of those factors, as much as possible.

Yes, it will only get better from here on.  I have some balance exercises I can send to you, if you'd like.  Just PM me and I'll send them to you.

Best thoughts and prayers continue for a speedy "Look Ma, I can do it myself" recovery.

Clarice

kixit

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 06:36:40 pm »
@Clarice..if you could send those excercises that would be great. I ventured out today (I had a designated driver, lol) but it was too much..had to come home and take that all important afternoon nap before the official afternoon nap..lol

Wonkywooness is the problem at hand now. I was told it will go away..eventually, just embrace it for what it is..it's all part of the healing process. My kids laugh at me because I stagger with a smile. Have to have fun with it!!

I will admit, I have never slept or felt like sleeping this much in my whole life (and that's without any meds). Is my body that starved for rest and recooperation? Has the stress of thinking about surgery, the BAHA caught up with me? It's crazy  :o
Translab 5/24/12

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 05:00:21 am »
Glad your back and doing well. I don't remember much of the first 24 hours other than being nauseous. I'm back to my old self again pretty much and you will be too. Rest and recover.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 05:55:17 am »
Just sent you the balance exercises I used in a Private Message.  I also have some good gaze stabilization ones if you are having difficulty holding your eyes steady on an object.

I have found locking my gaze onto something that is not moving when I am walking is an absolute necessity (in my case with no vestibular function on either side and hence a lifelong balance issue).

After my first surgery I had significant difficulty with first double vision, then pronounced nystagmus so coupled with balance exercises, I also did gaze stabilization exercises.  Now I do not think about it much unless I am really tired, really stressed, or drink waaaaay too much caffeine.

Let me know if you would also like the other exercises.

Clarice

P.S.  If you do not begin to see rapid improvement in your balance soon, I would search for a trained vestibular therapist.  I had great success with the work he did with me.