Author Topic: Meet Evelyn Glennie  (Read 2204 times)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Meet Evelyn Glennie
« on: December 13, 2006, 08:48:45 pm »
This is intended to be an inspiratioal thread.
There is a woman from Scotland named Evelyn Glennie who is considered to be one of the greatest orchestral percussionists in the world. She reads music fluently, can play the entire ensemble of percussion instruments with every necessary dynamic and inflection and is a prolific composer. She is also profoundly deaf and "hears" music through vibration.

Her story is a shot in the arm for anyone, especially we A.N. folk.
I've pasted in a couple of links to her webpage.

Under the "live" tab there'll be a drop down menu. There are two essays she's written: on disability and another on deafness that you can select. Her whole webpage is really a treat.

Paul

http://www.evelyn.co.uk/music.

http://www.evelyn.co.uk/live/hearing_essay.htm
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Curiouscat

Re: Meet Evelyn Glennie
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 07:41:59 am »
Crazycat,

Her words are truly inspirational! I particularly like how she describes hearing as a "sound picture built by our brains." She suggests that everyone hears things differently, yet everyone hears. She uses feelings and vibrations more intensly than folks with more normal hearing, but she emphasizes that she still "hears." I appreciate how she ends with "please enjoy the music and forget the rest." If we dwell on the negative aspects of our abilities, i.e., limitations created by surgical complications, we will forget to enjoy the "music" of our lives.

Curiouscat

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Meet Evelyn Glennie
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 10:26:23 am »
Paul,

tjhanks so much for sharing this with us... she sounds simply amazing and what a terrific attitude!  A truly great read!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"