Author Topic: Reconstructive Surgeon in/near Indianapolis?  (Read 2191 times)

pwurtz

Reconstructive Surgeon in/near Indianapolis?
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:03:34 pm »
I had my translab surgery 6 1/2 years ago at The House Ear Clinic.  I have toyed with the idea of having reconstructive surgery, but never followed through.  I'm now trying to return to teaching and think it would be helpful.  My smile is lopsided and my eye is droopy.  Kids usually notice my eye before they notice my smile, but I really miss my old smile.  We're in the Indianapolis area.  Anyone know of a good surgeon?  Also, do most insurance plans cover this?   

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. 

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Reconstructive Surgeon in/near Indianapolis?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:08:04 pm »
Hi there pwurtz:  I had facial reanimation at Johns Hopkins in Maryland with Dr. Patrick Byrne.  He did a T3 (Temporalis Tendon Transfer) - he has before/after pictures on his site.  If you look under this Facial Issues, subject Post Temporalis Tendon Transfer, you'll see my before/after pictures on pg. 2 of that subject.  I also had a Canthal sling procedure last year done by an oculoplastic surgeon to keep my lower lid lifted - I've had 3 surgeries before with other drs.,  but my lower lid kept drooping.  I would suggest using an oculoplastic surgeon for the eye, but Dr. Byrne is the best for the face- one of the pioneers for the T3.  My insurance (at the tijme Cigna) did pay me back $ - guess they realized there are only a handful of drs. doing this procedure.  I did pay $12,000. up front but got most of it back (I opted for some extra facial surgery).  You do need to have the other side of your face lifted if you're of an 'older age' (I was 50 at the time).  I did not go the route of 7/12 jump - I was too scared to have further surgery on my tongue/facial nerve, & I was 50 at the time of my AN surgery, so I opted for the T3 instead.

Always good thoughts & best of luck with your endeavors.  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis