Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 4396 times)

nann

Another Newbie
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:39:37 am »
Hi everyone,
I have been browsing this site for some time. Decided its time to jump in and join the group. In 2010 I was having some facial numbness, MRI confirmed a small AN, what a shock. I guess it is pretty unusual for such a small tumor to cause this symptom, anyway I had Mid-Fossa surgery June 2011, followed by a CFS leak, treated with lumbar drain. After assuming the worst was over, my 3month post-op revealed there was still a tumor, they either did not get it all, or there was another small AN behind the first one they could not see. Anyway, my options were w@w or go back in and remove it. I oppted for W@W, did not feel as though I could tolerate another surgery at that time. So will be having another MRI around April checking for change. Haven't been the same since surgery, the thought of doing it again is very unnerving. I guess i'm just venting, most people cannot comprehend how we feel and what were going through. It is so hard to explain to them. This Forum has aided in preserving what little sanity I have left. Hoping everyone here has a wonderful day.

alabamajane

Re: Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 04:02:36 pm »
wow,, so sorry for you... I am about 3 mo out of 11 hr translab surgery and would hate to have that diagnosis and decision.. I think if it was small and Dr thought w&w was OK,, I would have to try it for awhile. Knowing what you do after this surgery,, it would be difficult to jump right back in unless Dr just insisted it had to be done. Mine was pressing on brain stem, so it had to come on out.. if your "second" one is in same ear,, sounds like they may have missed it first time?? .. I wish you the best and come around to vent as often as you like. I am sure there will be someone else on that may have had a similar situation.. keep a positive attitude and try to recover from the first surgery the best you can for now.... prayers and hugs your way! Jane

PS ,, have you thought about radiation instead of surgery?? It was not a choice for me because of size, but I really was not "into it" anyway,, but some have gotten good results that way..... just a thought...
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

BeckyMax

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »
I can't imagine what it must feel like to be staring over at square one.  This is all new to me, so i don't have any constructive advise, but can offer you a cyber hug.  (((((((((((((((Hugs to you)))))))))))))))))))
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:21:47 pm »
Hi, Nann - and welcome ~

I'm glad to learn that you had a successful AN surgery but sorry to read that the MRI found another tumor.  That is unusual. 

One can easily undertstand why you're not eager to undergo another AN surgery.  I hope the upcoming MRI shows that you won't have to - (or that radiation might be a better option).  Please keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nann

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 12:06:50 pm »
Hi,
Thanks so much for listening and your kind words, it really helps. I know we are all going through are own issues, trying to deal with the changes in our lives. Its nice to know we can all relate to the challenges this situation creates.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day, Keep Smiling  :)

Nann     

lrobie

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 02:52:23 pm »
Nann,

I'm curious to know where you had your surgery.  Can you share?

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

nann

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:03:54 am »
Hi Lisa,
My Surgery was at Harborview in Seattle. The neurology team are excellent.  I also have a  friend that underwent extensive emergency skull based surgery there. He had a rare condition he was unaware of. They saved his life, and he is doing well. I think in my case, it was just bad luck. So have to keep smiling, it could always be worse.

Hope you have a great day:)

Nann

alabamajane

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:10:32 am »
Good attitude Nann,,
You are so right,, it can always be worse... I had to keep reminding myself of this quite a bit since my surgery.. at least we are alive! don't have to deal with cancer and can try to get back to some sense of self...

keep your attitude positive and I am sure you will do well with next MRI,, here's hoping for a better "reading" on next MRI,, maybe it will be same size or smaller!!! We can only hope till then,, and a little prayer wouldn't hurt! Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

nann

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 07:34:53 pm »
Hi Jane,

I know what you mean about reminding ourselves. Its really easy to have a self pity party and your the only guest.( pretty lonley and boring) been there. I try to ward it off by looking around......then counting my blessings. And your right prayers never hurt.

Keep smiling :)    Nann