Author Topic: WEIGHT GAIN  (Read 3176 times)

Joy

WEIGHT GAIN
« on: October 11, 2005, 06:20:04 am »
Yep, it is me again lol  ;D  I don't know what I would do without all of us listening, giving advice and encouraging each other.  My husband is a good man and helps me in so many ways.  He does have difficulty in trying to understand what I am really going through and how I am feeling.  Everyone's AN experience does teach me a lot.  I know I am not the only AN patient coping with the symptoms and new problems that pop up.
Soooo,  ::)  I got another question.... Since my surgery and GK treatment, I have gained a LOT of weight.  Oh my!   :( 
It is like GLUE sticking to me and I am having a heck of a time getting it off.   :'(
I go to Curves trying to strengthen my body but most of the time I am not able to do the complete workout due to head hurting, weakness in arms and legs and shortness of breath.  Yes, I do try to watch my food intake.
Has anyone gained weight after treatments if so, how did you get rid of it  ???
Thanks
Joy
Smile, God loves you!

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Re: WEIGHT GAIN
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 08:16:34 am »
Hi Joy,

I'm in the same boat. I was a big guy going into the hospital (6'4 220) and then I lost a bunch of weight because I was in there for a month (prob down to about 210) and now I'm about a year post op. At one point I was up to about 255, and I've been slowly inching that back down over time (around 245 now) but it's not easy when you can't do much for physical activity (I use to play a lot of basketball, tennis & run). I tried a stationary bike  for awile since I could conquer that with my balance issues, but that gets really boring to me. It's frustrating. I've tried to be a little more conscious of what I'm eating and I'm just trying to do some consistent light exercise every night (like walking the dog for 30 mins). I feel huge though! I'm not use to carrying extra weight and getting winded by walking up stairs & things like that. Very, very frustrating. I try to push myself, but with our limitations, it's not easy. I think at this point it's just a matter of doing what you can physically & watching what you eat. If anyone has a solution, I'm all ears! well, one ear!

wanderer

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 08:27:11 am »
when I had my surgery I was pushing 230 in january.    I am now about 200.  My weight fluxed a lot due to steriods being used and repeated surgeries.
I own a gym and often help people lose weight so here are somethings I can offer.   

1. curves isn't really good for weight lose it is more toning.   I deal a lot with curves victims trying to understand why they didn't lose weight but are rock solid.   
2. Really look at your activity level post surgery compaired to after surgery.    If it is greatly diminished then you need to cut back on your eating.    Calories in must equal calories out if you want to maintain weight. So to lose you need to create a deficit.
3. I suggest getting to a qualified trainer at a real gym.   They can do wonders.
4.  If you are still taking steroids or several other types of medications losing weight can be much more difficult.

Good luck  I have continually been frustrated this year that I have not been able to work out because about the time they release me I end up getting cut on again and starting the whole process over again.  Keep trying and be patient.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 01:36:39 pm »
I have not had a problem with weight gain as I cannot open my mouth very far. My facial paralysis prevents it from working correctly.   I have to cut everything up so small, like you would a toddler, that I find I eat less because it is such a hassle.  I am down. 25 lbs. since my surgery. :-\

Bernadette

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 04:38:34 pm »
I have been going to weight watchers for 5 years, lost 50 lbs. now I can't open my mouth to much since surgery Sept 19th, lost more weight. I used to work out 5 days a week about 1-2 hours per day, now all I do is walk. Eye is to blurry to drive or try to ride my bike..............Bernadette

Sandyrat

• Oh, rats ~~~}---{8> ~~~}---{8>
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 08:06:10 pm »
I haven't had any treatment yet, so I have no experience like that to share.  But in the past several months I dropped 20 pounds by eating rice cakes.  They're very low in calories and so you can eat a lot until you feel satisfied.  It depends on your tastes, but I found that I love the ones with white cheddar.  Now instead of eating things like potato ships, I eat a package of rice cakes.  I'm talking the big one's too, not the tiny dollar-coin-sized ones (i think those have more calories and stuff).  Of course, they have no nutrient value so ya still get it from other sources.  Oh, and I lost the 20 pounds without working out (used to swim, but too busy lately).

Sandy 
27 years old
R side                       
It's a vein!

matti

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 10:27:35 am »
I gained 35 pounds the first year after my AN surgery. I was very active before surgery, but just could not get it together after. I went to Weight Watchers and luckily took it off. I think alot of my problem was that I was suffering from depression from hearing loss/balance problems/facial paralysis.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 06:44:35 pm »
My surgery was 16 months ago. I lost 20 lbs in the hospital, put it all back on and then some after surgery. Then I leveled off. I've noticed the last few months I'm slowly putting on weight. I got on the scale TODAY and realized I have put on 10 lbs since June! OUCH!  I think it is depression but I'm not sure. Interesting to see this thread today.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006