Author Topic: 7 Weeks Post-Op  (Read 6279 times)

LizAN

7 Weeks Post-Op
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:17:42 pm »
Hi, fellow AN'ers,

Today I'm 7 weeks post-op.

Over the weekend, I drove on the highway, for about 20 miles round trip, in light traffic.  It's progress.  Tomorrow, I'm going to try driving into the suburbs (we live in the country).

I can move my eyes from side to side now without getting dizzy.  When I turn my whole head side-to side quickly, I still feel a bit bobble-headed, but it didn't bother me when I was driving.  It only seems to be a problem when I am walking.  I've noticed that I tend to look at the ground when I go on my walks, so I've started looking around at the scenery.  This has required that I walk at a slower pace so as not to stumble.

Yesterday, the eye strain was suddenly worse for no apparent reason.  The last couple of days, I've been waking up with my left eye hurting and have returned to using eye drops on a regular basis.  (I had only been using them at bedtime.)  I'm wondering whether my eye is staying closed at night.  There were a couple of times, in the early post-op days, that I had closed my eye and then it opened slightly and I had to pinch it shut again, but I thought those days were long behind me.  As usual, I will call House if it persists.  Cat says my left eye is looking much bigger than my right one, and I can see that when I look in the mirror.  It does seem a bit worse this week, but I still don't think it warrants even a 2 on the HB scale, since my smile is symmetrical.

My energy level seems to be improving.  I've been able to tackle a couple of small organization projects around the house in the last couple of days.

I'm due to return to work the day after Labor Day.  I hope I am ready.

Thanks for reading!

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 7 Weeks Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:33:29 am »
Hi Liz .....

It sounds like you are doing very well.

I, as well, found that driving was not nearly as difficult as walking.  Once my gaze stabilized, I resumed driving with no difficulty.  I do still have to be very careful when I am tired while driving ..... fatigue seems to affect my gaze more quickly than pre-AN.

Using the eye drops is a good plan.  I still keep Celluvisc on hand and use it whenever my eye feels dry at night.

One of the surprising things for me 15 months post-op is when I was completing the one year post-treatment questionnaire that came from HEI, I was startled to realize that the left side of my mouth does not go out as far as the right side when smiling, even though it appears symmetrical when looking in the mirror.  (They send you a diagram to use when measuring.)  I still have hoarseness that I wonder if it is related to nerve irritation or the intubation tube ..... may never know.

At any rate, I hope you follow up with HEI on the eye business ..... just for reassurance, if nothing else.

Prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 11:08:36 am »
Hi Liz,

Sounds like progress, that's a good thing.  I'm with Clarice on this one, let them know about the eye.
FYI - I couldn't drive for months, so you're doing great.

lrobie

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:12:12 pm »
Hi Liz,

Congratulations on progressing with your driving.  :)  I can't wait to get there!!

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

miller

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 03:06:46 pm »
Hi all,

Glad to hear that everyone is getting better!  I am pretty much back to normal.  Started driving this past weekend, my voice just came back.  I have a little trouble walking on uneven surfaces in the dark.  I found this out because my daughter took me to  see Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw in celebration of my successful surgery!  I hope everyone continues to do well :)

Cheryl
6/1/12 Diagnosed AN 3cm x3.1cmx3.2cm
Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus
Translab HEI 7/12/12 Wilkinson Schwartz
SSD, No facial paralysis, Tinnitus

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:26:49 am »
It's wonderful to hear about your progress Liz!  I also have eye strain and dryness on the surgery side and am using drops.  I'll be interested to hear if that continues for you.  Like Lisa, I'm very much looking forward to being ready to drive again.  Thank you for sharing your updates!!!

Karen 
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 07:35:38 am »
Liz, you might try using gel in the eye every night.     I had a facial neuroma 6 yrs ago and the eye closes but still need to use gel at night.   Only occ any drops in the day.    Day ones are the Refresh liqugel.           Chances are yours won't be forever like mine.        If you are outside alot might be part of some dryness.                   I hope you continue to do well with recovery!                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 08:08:53 am »
Like Cheryl, I use Refresh during the day and on my worst nights I use gel.  I just don't like the morning gunk on my eyelids from the gel. 

Cheryl, you've sure been through a lot!  What kind of hearing do you have?

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 03:23:09 pm »
Karen, I am deaf on the right and was almost all deaf on the left as I am NF2 and have had AN's on both sides plus that facial neuroma on the right also.   I was near deaf on the left and my 2008 mid fossa gave me my hearing back on the left.      I was told by an audiologist that I am only one of 2 that my neurotologist has been able to do this to.     I was going to be getting a cochlear implant but not needed.      I do have some trouble understanding what people say in some situitations and how some people talk.   So I do have my issues with hearing.     I also had no facial paralysis with that mid fossa on the left.          I am so very grateful every day to have the hearing I do.          I have no balance nerves on either side with issues there too but one has to be with me to really see what and when they are.                     My  hope now is no more tumors as then would be more likely to lose all the hearing.               Being able to be with my 2 little granddaughters and hear them has meant so much to me.               I feel for all of us who have been thru this whole darn AN business.                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

LizAN

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:33 pm »

I, as well, found that driving was not nearly as difficult as walking.  Once my gaze stabilized, I resumed driving with no difficulty.  I do still have to be very careful when I am tired while driving ..... fatigue seems to affect my gaze more quickly than pre-AN.

Thanks, Clarice, for your post.  It was reassuring for me.

What, exactly, do you mean when you say your gaze stabilized?

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

LizAN

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 01:05:39 pm »
Hi Liz,

Sounds like progress, that's a good thing.  I'm with Clarice on this one, let them know about the eye.
FYI - I couldn't drive for months, so you're doing great.

Thanks, Chances3.  Fortunately, my eye is much better the last couple of days.

How many months was it before you could drive and what exactly was going on that prevented it?

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

LizAN

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 01:14:02 pm »
Lisa,  I hope you are driving soon.  Keep us posted!  How are the headaches now?

I'm still having some eyestrain but the last couple of days it has not been as bad.  Given the up and down nature of my recovery, I hesitate to say that problem is behind me.

Cheryl, I use the regular Refresh saline drops in the daytime and Celluvisc at night.  I thought I could get by without them but that didn't prove true.  I'm not spending much time outside except for my brief walks - it's been around 100 degrees here in central Texas.  The air conditioning does make the air inside the house dry, and I'm sure sitting under ceiling fans isn't helping.  I hope you have a tumor-free future!

Liz

2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

It is what it is

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 12:35:13 am »
Thanks for sharing more of your story Cheryl.  What an incredible miracle to get your hearing back after surgery!!!!!!  It's a sweet thought of you being able to hear your grandchildren. 

Liz, that is HOT!  I think I'll stay in Oregon.  :)

Karen

LizAN

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 09:50:54 pm »
Karen,

I SO appreciated the weather in LA.  It was unusually cool here in Austin for the first couple of weeks after I got home, for which I was very grateful.  This has actually been one of our milder summers.  I can see why so many people want to live in southern California.

What are your winters like in Oregon?

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

It is what it is

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 10:19:58 pm »
On the ocean side of the mountains, winter is mild.  We are in Central Oregon and get snow in the winter and lots of sunshine.  Great skiing! 

Karen