Author Topic: post-op complications - ck vs proton  (Read 1501 times)

hevreh

post-op complications - ck vs proton
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:13:30 am »
Am weighing risks of both ck and proton for AN treatment. Boston, MA has resources for both. I'm told by experts it would be a "wash" choosing one over another; both excellent. In theory, proton seems safer with less harm to tissue. Debates in medical circles go on. I seek to learn from patients with AN treatments in both modalities, if they had post-op complications. My decision for treatment must be made by June 20th. Thank you for replies.

fbarbera

Re: post-op complications - ck vs proton
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:28:50 pm »
hello henrey,

i had ck and did not research proton radiotherapy when i was looking into options, so i can't offer much of a basis for comparison.  you can read about my experience with ck on my website (see below, in my signature line). 

these are the factors i would consider in selecting a method of radiation:

1.  tumor control rate - which method has historically had the higher rate of success in killing the tumor
2.  hearing preservation - which method has had better success in preserving hearing (assuming you have useful hearing you want to preserve)
3.  other permanent deficits - which method generally results in fewer permanent deficits, such as facial dysfunction or balance problems

be careful about relying on just one doctor or one institution to make your decision.  i would suggest speaking with at least two or three doctors at different institutions to get the best picture of what the pros and cons are. 

i was treated at stanford.  tumor control rate there is 99%, hearing preservation is around 80+% with essentially no incidences of facial nerve damage.  other symptoms are variable depending on location of the tumor and its response to the radiation.  however, i think this is true of all treatment modes.

my website lists a few good resources for you to continue on with this research.

best wishes,

francesco