Author Topic: Stop Complaining ...  (Read 5889 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Stop Complaining ...
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 12:18:53 pm »
Scott:

Excellent observations. 

While I've had a somewhat better than average recovery from my AN surgery/radiation and I'm a bit older than many of the posters here and should presumably know better, I still complain about mundane things, as you do.  Following successful AN surgery, I certainly do value my health and being alive, as, just about a year ago, a pre-op CT scan detected a 'mass' on my liver that all the doctors thought was cancer (but wouldn't say so) until a next-day biopsy proved it to be a hematoma.  No further treatment was deemed necessary and my AN surgery, immediately cancelled once the 'liver mass' was discovered, was promptly rescheduled for a week later.

Like you, I inwardly vowed to never complain again if I could just get through the AN surgery 'intact' and finish the FSR treatments with no complications.  I did.  Oh, I still have a few 'numb' spots on my tongue and mouth (they come and go in intensity), the left side of my face isn't quite as sensitive as the right (very minor difference) and my left eye itches when I'm very tired (not too often).  My walk is good but not yet 'perfect' and walking backwards is still a challenge (but I can do it if I really try).  However, I accept these small annoyances as a part of the AN 'experience' and I'm grateful that's all I have to contend with.  Still, like everyone else on the planet, I'm a fallible human being and heavy traffic, clueless 'customer service' representatives and other negative aspects of daily life sometimes cause me to complain and grumble...even to vocally rant, on a rare occasion.

I don't believe that we can really do much about this human weakness except attempt to tamp it down and, for a rational balance, force ourselves to recognize the good things we have as well as the bad.  Of course we'll complain about the rising price of gas.  Why shouldn't we?  However, I'm thankful that I even have a car, can drive it and can afford to pay the higher gas prices...even as I grumble about them.  This is balance.  A reasonable complaint but a recognition of something positive, right along with it.  Obvioulsly, people, mainly the ones we love, are more important to us than money , a job or anything else.  Your expressed love for your new daughter made that clear, if it wasn't already.  It's a cliché, granted, but it's still true that, in their final hours on earth, no one will regret that they didn't spend more time at the office.

I'm sorry to read of your AN tumor now needing radiation but you certainly have the right attitude toward this turn of events.  I'm sure you'll do fine, Scott.  Keep up that positive outlook born of realism.  It serves you well and is a lesson to all of us.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 12:21:26 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 07:04:50 pm »
You're not going to 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu-Man-Chu?
I thought about it, but after watching Walker do it, I think I'll pass and go bunging jumping instead!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 08:44:32 pm »
Hey, I heard that the more you complain, the longer God lets ya live!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 07:53:55 pm »
Hey, I heard that the more you complain, the longer God lets ya live!

Capt Deb 8)

well then,  WAAAA Waaa Waaa,  Booo Booo Hooo, I'll  be complaining at least till my kids are grown and giving me grandbabies.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 02:35:20 pm »
The squeaky wheel always gets the grease!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Andy

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 07:42:07 am »
Great post Scott.  (Although I've never had a tumor removed, I did have a major brain surgery and can definitely relate.) 
Thinking about your life and what it means is definitely different when you're at home, than from when you're on the operating table and you're doc says, "There's always that possibility that...".  My doc said before my surgery that I have a good chance of survival, but there's also a good chance that I will be paralized on one half of my body.  Now that's some scary sh..!  Thank goodness that's behind me now (and I came out normal (though some may disagree :)))
Best of luck Scott!
Andy
Lost hearing in left ear in 1995 due to motorcycle accident which resulted in a fractured and slightly dislocated skull.

kate

• Crooked Face Smiling Inside
    • Acoustic Neuroma Coping Support in Los Angeles
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 11:02:06 pm »
Scotty,

This is a great post. Though I never did vow to never complain or sweat the small stuff again, I did go through a period of elation prior to the surgery. I had resolved that the surgery was necesary, and that whatever the outcome, it would be the first day of the rest of my life. I had the idea that life is precious and every moment to be savored. I wrote in a journal all the time and what poured out of me was bordering on poetic. It was a period of really being aware of our mortality, and feeling grateful to be alive no matter the inconveniences of life.

Well, this newfound lease on life did not last forever. Like you say, after you get back to the daily grind, you start to sweat the small stuff. Maybe that is the human condition! So please don't feel guilty about it.

After recovering from surgery, I actually went jobhunting to get into a more fullfililng job and didn't return to the old one. It was so funny, my supervisor told me, after I accepted the new job, "after a couple weeks around here, Kate, you will be b----ing and complaining about all the details, just like everyone else!"  How right she was.

Scotty, good luck to you.

Kate
Surgery 5-1-2000,  3.9cm, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, California. 
Gold weight first couple of years.
Palbebral eyelid spring 2004 by Dr. Robert Levine "saved my life."
 I  have been enjoying life a lot, even with a crooked face and one sided hearing.