Author Topic: 1 week post op  (Read 4365 times)

marciea06

1 week post op
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:15:26 am »
Wow! Can't believe it's been a week. I went with my gut on this one.. I flew out to Los Angeles from Tennessee and let doctors I had never even met operate on me. Dr. Friedman and Dr. Giannotta at USC are amazing!!! They removed a 2.4 cm acoustic with the retrosig approach. Surgery was Tuesday and I stayed in ICU that night. Went to a private room and then was released on Thursday!! I did end up losing hearing in that ear but other than that no issues at all!! Occasional balance issues but not too bad. We were able to do a tour today before my follow up appts and I walked around for 2.5 hours! I do have a slight headache when I first wake up in the mornings. I was cleared today to head back home and I couldn't be happier. The therapist was even impressed with my progress. Dr. Friedman and his team are amazing!!! I really feel that if I had went anywhere else, my outcome wouldn't be as great. I can't say enough about the team at USC.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 1 week post op
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 05:32:50 am »
Hi Marcie .....

Yaaaay for the good news!!!  We always enjoy hearing such success stories on here.  Now, relax and listen to your body.  Recovery is not a time to "sprint to the finish."  Slow and steady wins the race.

Your experience in the first week post-op nearly mirrors my experience when Drs. Friedman and Schwartz removed my AN.  I felt tired and a bit wobbly but walked all over downtown LA 9 days after surgery.  So glad you decided to go to USC for your surgery.

Prayers continuing for safe travels home and good recovery the rest of the way.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ANnIdaho

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:02:41 pm »
So happy to hear how well you are doing!  I am very happy for you.  I too am deciding to travel to LA to have Dr. Friedman and Dr. Giannatto remove my AN hopefully sometime this fall. Had you had many balance issues prior to your surgery?  Did you have a VNG that let you know if the vestibular nerve (sup or inf) had diminished functionality.

Safe travels back to Tennessee and may your recovery be uneventful!!!

Bonnie
3/3/2015 MRI 9.2mm x 5.4mm AN discovered
Removed Middle Fossa 9/22/2015 by Dr. Friedman Keck Medcial Center. Hearing preserved! Doing great.  If you'd like more details as to surgery/recovery feel free to visit my caringbridge.org website @ http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sayonaraschwammy

marciea06

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 08:01:03 am »
Bonnie- I had no balance issues before. No hearing loss either. We just accidentally found it!

lark114

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 09:59:40 am »
I will be going to LA next month to have Drs. Friedman/Gionatta remove my 1.2 cm AN and am so happy to hear of your great outcome.  I expect the same thing for myself, which is why I choose to fly there from Philadelphia.   I presently have pretty good hearing and the biggest thing I am afraid of is waking up deaf in my right ear.  I am enjoying what I still have as much as I can and am trying very hard to accept possible deafness....not easy.  What was your hearing like preop?

Linda

Pattib

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 06:48:06 am »
Hi Marcie, so glad to hear your good news!  Can you tell me how long your surgery was?

MMusella

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 07:47:25 am »
Im glad you are doing great!!! And continue too.. I myself am 7 months post op from a 3.5 acoustic total removal! ! Back to life again after 8 weeks!!! &no problems...I met with my one surgeon yesterday and am doing the new BAHA implant! ! Very excited! !! Hope you continue to do well with your journey ! !!
40 years old, was diagnosed with a 3.5cm.(right side)AN in Nov, 2014 and having surgery on January 13th 2015, live in upstate NY..had a 13 hour surgery. .100%tumor removal. I did 8 weeks of vestibular rehabilitation and went back to my life and career,  with no side effects :)... life is great!!!

rupert

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 08:21:20 pm »
That's great MMusella.  Where did you have your surgery?