Author Topic: cinnamon update!  (Read 3383 times)

cinnamon

cinnamon update!
« on: March 16, 2007, 07:06:07 pm »
Hello gang,

I haven't posted in awhile but I have checked in time to time to see how everyone is doing. I know some of you are looking forward to July but I won't be able to go. Some updates on myself. I have been back to work full time since October 16th. My husband and I have started the process of adopting a child from china since we are unable to have a child of our own. I have been doing the paperchasing thing. Boy it is involved!!!

It has been 8 months since I had my surgery. My eye still does not blink. I have noticed it does not need lubricating near as much recently. It bothers me because I can only smile a little to keep things even. I miss my big beautiful smile showing my white teeth. My forhead does not move at all. Reading some of your posts, I guess it will just be awhile. My face only started moving on the left side on December the 1st. It is still good to get some encouragement because I have been thinking about it more lately. Everyone hears understands. I guess things come in spurts??? I am pretty much back to normal with my physical abilities. I am look forward to home projects this summer. Any thoughts on facial therapists and what they can do since the face is moving some??

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

Battyp

Re: cinnamon update!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 10:05:16 pm »
Thanks for the update Lisa! Let us know when you get your new bundle!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 12:16:12 pm »
cinnamon:

Good to see you back!  Congratulations on your notable progress.  Unfortunately, I can't personally be of any help regarding facial therapists and what they can do.  However, I'm sure other posters can - and will - have some advice for you.

You are living proof that 'time heals'.  Look forward to reading more from you.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cinnamon

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 12:36:25 pm »
Thanks Jim and Battyprincess!

Time truly does heal. It is amazing to me how far I have come. Apparently it didn't teach me patience as much as I need since I have been spending time thinking why it isn't even better. I am okay. Others seem to think I am progressing extremely well. I guess you always want more. Still want to know what others think about facial therapy though.

Lisa
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 02:04:20 pm »
Lisa,

I know it has been a bit rough for you, but you are doing wonderfully... day by day, inch by inch.  You know you can count on us to be here for you, give you massive huggles :-* if you need them.. our shoulders and good ears as well.. hang in there hun.....

xoxoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 05:25:52 pm »
I went to see Todd at UPMC (Pittsburgh) for facial therapy. It does work. My facial function improved from 31% to 62% in only 4 months. Unfortunately life got in the way and I stopped doing my exercises daily and I haven't gotten back to see him. It's also a 3 hr drive for me. But it definitely helped and I plan on seeing him again in the summer.    It is definitely worth looking into.

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

cinnamon

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 05:48:13 pm »
Thanks Pembo,

I am curious, is this different than a speech therapist who works with you on exercises? What does he do when you visit him? Like my speech therapist gave me exercises to do at home which i do sometimes but not as much as I should. I feel like my face is really tight and very sore in the areas that do not move. That is very encouraging from 31% to 62%. I think it is worth looking into also. Oh, did your insurance pay for the therapist or were you on your own?

Lisa

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 07:01:34 pm »
I don't have anything to offer about the facial therapy, but I wanted to say congratulations on moving forward with the adoption!  I hope the process is smooth and quick for you!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

matti

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 07:35:53 pm »
Hi Lisa - good to hear from you, I've been wondering how you were doing. First off, congratulations on the upcoming adoption. Some good friends of mine have adopted two beautiful girls from China, named Lilly and Sara. they were both 9 months old when adopted. I know the amount of paperwork involved is overwhelming, but as you know, oh so worth it. I am so happy for you and your hubby!

I agree with Pembo, I think you should contact a facial therapist and get evaluated. What I have learned through my own facial paralysis is that the facial nerve is a stubborn, slow healer  >:(, and it heals in very small steps.

hang in there, I think you are doing great!!!!

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 05:03:38 am »
Lisa:  so happy you're having moveme!!!!!
        I've heard facial exercises help to prevent/lessen the possibility of synkenisis,
Best wishes to you,  nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

cinnamon

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 05:58:06 am »
As always, I appreciate the support from everyone here. It is good to hear from you too Cheryl. I have been on the busy side but I am going to try to check in a little more often. I am attending a brain tumor support group locally and they are helping me locate a facial therapist. I do believe I would benefit too. These past few days, I feel like my numbing of my head have been subsiding so I have told myself that the healing is working hard in that area right now instead of my face. When people see me they say I am improving week to week but you know when you look at yourself in the mirror all the time you just can't see it. I am staying strong. Of course a cry every now and then just helps you regain yourself and what has happened over the past 8 months. I am for the most part happy and overjoyed to be on the way to having a baby. We are looking to adopt a infant between the age of 9 months and 1 year. We are even interested in adopting twins if they are available!! And I hope they are!!!!

Many wishes for each of you,

Lisa