Author Topic: Update re: Kathleen McCracken  (Read 1732 times)

Kathleen5306

Update re: Kathleen McCracken
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:34:59 pm »
Kathleen has asked me to update all her wonderful friends on the ANUSA network regarding her surgery.  Right on schedule, she was taken from the waiting room at 12:30 PT to prep for her 1:00 surgery so all is progressing well.  Her husband Marty is with her at St. Vincents Hospital and will keep us posted during the next few hours.  Her surgery is scheduled to last between 6-10 hours.

Kathleen spent a great day with her surgeons and staff yesterday and was even more confident about her surgery after her pre-op work. Her doctors were very optimistic, positive, and down to earth and made her feel wonderful about her decision.  They even shared their favorite Mexican restaurant and she and Marty were off to enjoy the evening there last night.

On a side note, she was able to "test" the BAHA implant yesterday and was very impressed.  She is hopeful that this device may be a great solution for some of her hearing problems in the future.

And finally, many thanks to all of you who have offered such comforting advice and support during these past few weeks to Kathleen.  She is so very grateful for your support and feels like you have made all the difference in her confidence.

I'll keep you posted-

Maggie King

(Hi Maggie... Phyllis (Moderator) here... I had to delete your email address as we are not allowed to publically post them here (against site rules), for your own protection ... ie: phishers, spam, etc.  Thank you SO very much for Kathleen's update and I'll check back later to see if you hear anything more.  She is truly lucky to have you there for her.  My wellness wishes to her... and thanks again, Phyl)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:05:36 pm by ppearl214 »
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

LADavid

Re: Update re: Kathleen McCracken
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 02:40:35 pm »
Thanks, Maggie.  I'm glad Kathleen was able to enjoy her day yesterday.  We'll be looking for more updates.  And no more quakes.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

lori67

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:08:53 pm »
Maggie,

Thanks for the update on Kathleen.  I'm sure it will be a long day for all of you.  Looking forward to hearing some good news soon!

And I see you've met Phyl and gotten the virtual slap on the wrist!  She's one tough cookie, you know!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:35:42 pm »
Hi Maggie,

Tell Kathleen Nancy Drew says "hello".  On a side note, we live a few minutes away from each other here in CO, and I can't wait to meet up with her hopefully soon, along with Coloradogal who lives in Fort Collins.  Coloradogal has her surgery coming up soon also.  Anyway, since I am going the GK route, I want to pick up the lunch tab for these two brave women going though surgery.  Hang in there Kathleen. 

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 06:45:45 pm »
On a side note, she was able to "test" the BAHA implant yesterday and was very impressed.  She is hopeful that this device may be a great solution for some of her hearing problems in the future.

Maggie -

I am a BAHA patient and I'm so glad to hear (no pun intended) that Kathleen was impressed with the demo.  I was too and it was one of the things that led me to pursue the surgery.  I think if she does get the implant her hopes that it will be a great solution for some of her hearing problems will be realized.

Thank you for updating us on Kathleen's surgery.  I've been thinking about her today and hoping for the best possible recovery.

Please give her our best when you're able to see her.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:19:40 pm »
Golly, Maggie, you look just like Kathleen! Oh wait, you just used her logon...

Glad to hear that she made it there alright, and went into surgery feeling good about it. Thanks for the update.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 08:22:13 pm »

Kathleen spent a great day with her surgeons and staff yesterday and was even more confident about her surgery after her pre-op work. Her doctors were very optimistic, positive, and down to earth and made her feel wonderful about her decision. 

I'll keep you posted-

Maggie King

I felt the same way after my day of pre op meetings! HEI is a top notch facility. She is in a great spot. She should be out of surgery soon!

Kate
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 08:25:29 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/