Author Topic: updates from mysefl  (Read 6331 times)

Clifton

updates from mysefl
« on: September 19, 2007, 08:41:53 pm »
hey,

thank yyou to everyone that has helped me.

just wanted to let you guys know that i am ok. the last few nights in the hospitol were horrible and would never do that again for sure.

this is my first night back at home getting back to normal.im sorry it took me so so long to get back up here and post but i was just letout this morning.

i'll keep ya'll posted.
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
Re: updates from mysefl
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 09:18:10 pm »
Good to hear from you Clifton! It's great to be home after being in the hospital that long, isn't it?

I hope you have a great recovery.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

waypoint

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 09:57:53 pm »
Clifton,

Glad to hear you are back home and recovering nicely.  I'm schedule to have surgery Oct 1st in Houston. When you are up to it. Could you expand on "horrible".  I hope all went well.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Clifton

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 06:33:38 am »
well from a prcedure stadpoint, it went great...
i just didn't like the service from the hospitol staff. when you need meds for pain it seems like theytake forever to bring them to you.g

and i you could bring, bring a couple of you're pillows...after you're out of ICU the beds are not confortable at all, at least least where i was.
2cm AN right side.

Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 11:48:09 am »
Clifton -

sorry to hear about the hospital, but glad the surgery went well.  Recovery will take time, but there's no place like home  :)

waypoint -

All hospitals, and all patients, are different so don't worry too much.  When I was in the hospital, there wasn't actually a separate ICU - my room was just classified ICU for a few days, then downgraded.  I had the same bed throughout and I didn't find it a problem.

I also didn't have any pain.  Some do, some don't.  Just remember though, if you feel it coming ask for meds long before you REALLY need them.  Nurses get busy, forget you, etc.

That said, I think Clifton had some great suggestions.  Good luck with your surgery on Oct. 1st.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

BB

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:43:37 pm »
JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT MY EXPERIENCE AFTER SURGERY AND AFTER BEING MOVED TO A REGULAR ROOM, THAT THE NURSES ARE SO BUSY AND THERE WAS GOOD AND BAD ONES. IF I NEEDED PAIN MEDICENE MOST NURSES WAS RIGHT THERE, I HAD TROUBLE WITH ONE NURSE GIVING ME PROBLEM'S OVER PAIN MED'S.  THE NEXT DAY WHEN  MY DOCTOR CAME IN AND I TOLD HIM THE SITUATION THAT HAD HAPPENED THE DAY BEFORE WITH THE NURSE, I THINK HE MUST HAVE WROTE SOMETHING IN MY CHART, BECAUSE I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM AFTER THAT ABOUT GETTING WHAT I NEEDED.  I THINK HE GOT THEIR ATTENTION.  MY DOCTOR AND SO MANY OTHER DOCTOR'S WAS IN AND OUT SO MUCH TO CHECK ON ME.  I WAS VERY WELL TAKEN CARE OF, JUST I THINK THE NURSE'S BEING ON OVERLOAD & THEIR DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES SOMETIMES AREN'T HELPFUL, BUT WHO KNOW'S WHAT THEY HAD JUST BEEN UP AGAINST, BUT IF ANY PROBLEMS, BE SURE TO TELL YOUR DOCTOR.  MINE WAS GREAT AT BEING THERE AND HELPING ME THROUGH JUST THE FEELING OF SO MANY CHANGES GOING ON IN MY HEAD.  FOR THE MOST PART THE PAIN MED'S WORKED GREAT.  THE BANDAGE WAS SO TIGHT ON MY HEAD AND THAT HURT A LOT & WHEN THAT CAME OFF, I FELT SOOOO  MUCH BETTER, AND THEN ON THE 6TH DAY WHEN I CAME HOME, WITH IN TWO DAY'S I DIDN'T NEED ANY PAIN MED'S.  THING'S GOT SO MUCH BETTER AFTER I WAS HOME.  I HAD MY SISTER STAY 2 WEEKS WITH ME AFTER I CAME HOME, AND THAT HELPED ME SO MUCH.  HOPE THIS WAS OF SOME HELP.  MY SURGERY WAS ALSO IN HOUSTON. I THINK WITH ANY SURGERY THE WORST TIME IS WAKING UP, OR THAT WAS MY EXPERIENCE.  BB

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 03:46:45 pm »
Hi, Clifton:

Welcome to 'postieland':)  I was really pleased to learn that you're home and doing O.K. 

I can sympathize with your hospital experience.  I didn't have too much to complain about but being awakened every few hours in ICU was annoying...and I didn't try to hide my annoyance.  Fortunately, I had few problems and basically was probably an 'easy' patient for the nurses.  I only spent half of a day in a regular room before being discharged.  I was very anxious to get out and used all of my skills as a former salesman to convince the skeptical P.T. nurse to clear me for discharge.  She did, finally.  I was in hospital for just about 5 days.  That's my lifetime allotment, I hope. 

As everyone will probably (and correctly) tell you; take it easy.  Rest, sleep and generally just let your body recover.  Don't worry about things that 'need to be done'.  They'll wait.   You have a lifetime ahead of you.  You can spare a few weeks 'off'.  You need that time to recuperate.  By giving your body that time, you'll have a much quicker and complete recovery and within a year or so, this will all be a memory.   Of course, I hope we'll all be a part of that memory but the important thing right now, today, is to rest and recover.  I expect you'll do just fine, Clifton.  Let us know of your progress and whatever else you may wish to share.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori78

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 04:02:33 pm »
Clifton--

Welcome home!  I hear ya on the hospital stay.  My biggest issue in recovery was to take it slow, it's been 6 months and I still tire.. Take it easy!!

Waypoint, as for me, I had ICU psychosis, psychotic for three days in the hospital, I was seeing/hearing things, and really paranoid.  MY poor parents!!  But this is extremely rare, and apparently you forget it all, but I remember.  MAkes for good jokes now.  And ditto on the nurses and pain meds, get them when you can.  I felt like my head was the size of that character Sloth from the movie Goonies, and kept quoting the movie!!  People were trying not to laugh!  You'll be fine, but anything you can do to bring the comforts of home in (my dad taped a Terrible Towel to my hosp door to watch the Steelers game..) helps a lot!  I also recommend those C shaped neck pillows, and love that I borrowed a portable DVD player and had friends loan me movies... TV was starting to drive me nuts, and at times the pain meds would wire me and I'd be up at night watching movies.  Good luck!
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 04:44:24 pm »
Hi Clifton:  As I've said before, THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME !!!   Remember:  you'll find yourself taking ALOT of naps for a few weeks, your body needs to REST!!!
Also, NO STRAINING - I was on Colace 100 mg twice a day for 6 weeks (It works like a charm - too much info, I know).   Take short walks at 1st - you'll tire quickly from the lack of balance.  NO LIFTING - get someone else to do that or LEAVE THINGS WHERE THEY LAY !!!  Sleep with your head on an incline for a few weeks.   You may/or may not have headaches - I had them round the clock for about 2-3 weeks.   Keep your body hydrated (H2O is your friend).   Most of all, listen to your body, & REST, REST, REST.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

susier

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 07:31:34 pm »
Hi Clifton,
  Glad your surgery went well and that you are home.  Take is easy and keep up informed of your recovery.

BB and Waypoint,
  Where in Houston were/are you being treated?  I live in the Houston area and am a wait and watcher for now, but am interested in more opinions.  I had a consult at MD Anderson and really liked the docs there, but it never hurts to check around.  Any info would be appreciated.

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 08:23:50 pm »
So happy you're home and on the road to recovery!! WOOHOO! :)

Keep us updated to how you are doing. Sending healing thoughts your way! :)

Sam~
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

waypoint

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 09:13:30 pm »
Susie,

I in NW Houston, but will have the surgery at Memorial Hermann downtown at the Med Center. Doctors are Mehmet Alp and Joseph Chang.  Everything up to this point has been going smoothly. He the preop visit with the hospital today and meet with the doctors.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

BB

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 09:37:33 pm »
Susie, My surgery was in June of 2006.  Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask performed my surgery at Methodist Hospital at the Med Center in Houston.  Boppie who is also a member on this group, had the same docotor's, but not sure what hospital she stayed at.  BB

Clifton

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 05:14:45 am »
my parents just keep pushing me to walk and be up moving instead of "sleeping" so much. the doctors also told them the more im out of bed than IN bed the better,unfortunuatly thats the idea they got.
my sleep schedule is completely off right now, im sleeping best at the moments i should be awake and up and im sleeping horrible at times like right now when i should be asleep.
this anti-swelling med they gave me completely makes my room spin as well. not too fond of that haha.
2cm AN right side.

Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas

Boppie

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 10:43:47 am »
Clifton, You will feel better after the heavy meds stop.  Most of us had a wonky sleep schedule after the surgery.  For the next few weeks you will live in this sleep on and off schedule;  your body will regulate the cycle by itself as you heal.  I am glad you are a postie now!

Thank goodness for bossy parents, huh?